What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dry pitchers

• Thread starter Sage269
  • Start date
I have a couple of Sarracenia and I live in southern California. I have my plants outside in a small patio pond, and it gets a few hours of direct sun and more than twice that of broken sun. It does get a bit hot here. I have noticed that my pitchers have no water in them. Does anyone have suggestions or should I not worry about that until it gets cooler?

Thanks.

It depends on what species. For purpurea, you can go ahead and add some water to the pitchers. For the larger upright pitchers, they should excrete the necessary enzymes when they have prey.

I have one purpurea and a feisty dog. I will add a bit of water to the purpurea. My daughter caught me a fly the other day. I will cut it up and split it between the two. Most to the Feisty Dog as it is more than twice the Purpurea size.

Thanks!

I think it's generally accepted that there's no need to add water to pitchers of the upright Sarrs and that to do so might be harmful - it dilutes what the plants secrete. Notice that most have pretty effective lids.

But those plants are native to a much more humid climate than a lot of Southern CA and maybe a little water would be beneficial in the growing conditions that your plants experience. I grow mine in CT and things that work nicely for my plants here would probably fail there. There must be a CP group in that highly populated area and maybe you can get some regionally-appropriate tips.

Back