What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum on a windowsill?

I realize D'Amato wrote that this was nearly impossible to do successfully in his book, but has anyone had positive results from growing Drosophyllum on a windowsill in zone 6 or 7?

Drosophyllum need lots of direct sunlight or intense artificial lighting to do well, and I don't think light filtered through a window will be enough without the addition of supplemental lighting. You can probably grow one on an unobstructed south-facing windowsill but it will most likely be a weak plant, producing less dew and lots of thin spindly leaves. Drosophyllum also need lots to eat to do well, so something else to consider when growing them inside.

I grow Drosophyllum outside in full sun during the growing season in my region (zone 8) and they catch plenty of food on their own, but I overwinter them in my south-facing garage window with supplemental lighting and spray them with a weak orchid fertilizer mix during this time.

Hopefully those who grow Drosophyllum inside year-round will chime in with their experiences to help you out.

Two of mine are on a windowsill right now, just out of the seedling stage, they aren't dead yet. Yolo right?

Yolo right?

Unless you are a plant in TC, has been cloned or that can produce self-fertile seeds, in which case, then you can live more than only once.

I moved them outside, they enjoy this much more than the windowsill.

I moved them outside, they enjoy this much more than the windowsill.
Hopefully you can winter them over successfully into next year. I'm going to try out DJ57's method this year. I just need to find one first.

Back