What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera cistiflora help!!

• Thread starter Kleon2
  • Start date
Hi guys so I have a drosera cistiflora and i recently check up on it. And i noticed that the plant has moved sideways I check under all its leaves and i see two huge roots coming from the bottom of the plant and are pushing the plant side ways can't u explain what is this ?

Is your media packed too tight? D. cistiflora is a Winter growing Sundew that kind of acts like a tuberous Sundew. I believe it stores energy in a thick root for next year's growth. If media is too tightly packed to easily penetrate, it may grow sideways and push your plant around. This is my guess, worth about 2 cents.

Good growing,
Mike

Tomorrow I'll upload a picture if possible but I don't think it's tight and the roots came out today or I think it's the roots. The look thick reallly thick

We're definitely going to need a picture and some more information about the soil composition and growing environment.

WIN_20170131_13_57_20_Pro.jpgWIN_20170131_13_57_44_Pro.jpg this is the pot it is on ? it is in a mixture of I believe 50/50 peat and perlite mix and it is under 4 t5 growing lights.

Last edited:
Is this a plant you've brought through a dormancy period or did you recently buy it? I'm wondering if the roots are having difficulty penetrating that thick layer of moss on the surface.

I believe I bought it when there was only two leaves sticking out so I'll say yes I bought it when I was bearly out of dormancy as for the roots I think I see a thick root about to stick out from the bottom I think .

If the soil is very hard underneath you might very carefully break it up a bit directly under where the roots seem to be going so as to allow them someplace to go without lifting the main rosette of the plant. You would want to do this without causing any more disturbance than you have to. Just the same - 'nice looking plant.

I believe I bought it when there was only two leaves sticking out so I'll say yes I bought it when I was bearly out of dormancy as for the roots I think I see a thick root about to stick out from the bottom I think .

I'll do just that thanks !!

So an update I recently took the plant out of its pot and my hunch was right I found a huge root at the bottom of the pot do I replant in a bigger pot ?

Last edited:
I will first say that D. cistiflora is not a plant I have had extensive success with so maybe someone who has will chime in? Having said that I would refrain from disturbing the roots too much while the plant is actively growing. It would be possible to repot more safely when it has gone dormant. Being a plant that survives by storing energy gathered during its growing season D. cistiflora depends on being able to grow quickly without having to rebuild structures lost through disturbance. Just my opinion.

I agreee but the roots are causing the plant to move sideways and I believe it will get worse since it's still growing.

I would also agree that root disturbance is probably a bad idea. Perhaps you should contact the vendor and ask for advice?

I think we got our plants from the same source. Mine is looking happy but I can't take any credit for that, mine is still pretty new. If I can put it into dormancy this Summer and get it out of dormancy next Fall, then I'll be happy.

Good growing,
Mike

DSC07059.jpg

I'd put them in deep pots, a minimum of 6 inches. Dormant roots on mature plants are at least that long.

I suppose I should note that these plants come in 3.5" deep pots (pretty sure we all bought it from the same place.) I haven't tried repotting mine to see how long the roots are now but I'm sure they'll lengthen in the future.

mine did the same thing, dramatically moved around as it pressed auxiliary roots into the soil. I'm gonna transplant mine next year into a gallon pot and see if I can get it to divide.

for that matter, can I take cuttings at all, or separate whole roots, during any particular time in dormancy, i.e. early, mid, or late?

The usual method for propagating D. cistiflora is leaf cuttings from the rosette stage. I would personally recommend seeds, but you need multiple clones to cross-pollinate which can be difficult to find with the rarer flower colors.

Just snap off a piece of the root when it is dormant and you have a cutting.

Back