What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera admirabilis dying

• Thread starter Sage269
  • Start date
It looks like I am loosing this one. It has been flowering for months and I have a lot of seedlings sprouting up and I have some leaf propagation success. I think it started to go bad after I pulled some leaves. It temporarily started to look better then this. Do I pull the pup and get rid of the mother plant? If so how?

Attachments

• 20221020_163033.jpg
    20221020_163033.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 7
If it was me, I would pull and replant the little plant but 'wouldn't give up on the parent plant. Options are - you could harvest the roots and float them in a glass of pure water on top of a mat of lfs under lights and look for sprouts. Or you could just hope they re-sprout into a new plant(s). If you think your conditions have changed maybe there is something to be done there? Or maybe your soil is getting old and the plant needs repotting?

The soil is less than a year old in a big deep 12 inch pot. This started when I pulled some leaves a few months ago. Just a small dying off at the spot of the pulling's.

On the positive side all four leaves that I pulled are now sprouting! I just saw today that another sprouting pot has a Capensis growing. Finally after sowing hundreds of seeds!
Also as a bonus I had put a bunch of lfs that I recovered from a supermarket Orchid into a pot and into my chamber. I have found two Drosera hitchhikers growing in it!
Once they grow larger I will ask what the heck they are, or do I need to wait until it flowers?

This is the small one, do I need to worry about the two brown leaves?

Thanks,
Sage

Attachments

• 20221021_162618.jpg
    20221021_162618.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 4
For me, any unexpected brown leaves are a concern but then there are lots of reasons why the plant could lose a few including just having a bit of a transplant reaction. Obviously, what's all-important is the health of the new leaves at the center of the plant. Congrats on your new plantlets! It is nice to be able to offset losses with new babies.

I have to wonder where your lfs was harvested from? I have never gotten any sundew hitchhikers that other than D. rotundifolia but if the moss comes from Chile or New Zealand who knows what might come with it? 'Fun to see what it might be.

For me, any unexpected brown leaves are a concern but then there are lots of reasons why the plant could lose a few including just having a bit of a transplant reaction. Obviously, what's all-important is the health of the new leaves at the center of the plant. Congrats on your new plantlets! It is nice to be able to offset losses with new babies.

I have to wonder where your lfs was harvested from? I have never gotten any sundew hitchhikers that other than D. rotundifolia but if the moss comes from Chile or New Zealand who knows what might come with it? 'Fun to see what it might be.
That is probably what it is.

Attachments

• 20221022_125512.jpg
    20221022_125512.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 3
Back