What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dr. FrankenSnyder’s Spinach

Pitseed.jpgPitseed X 1-15-23.jpg
Here are photos of Pitseed Goosefoot (Chenopodium berlandieri) growing in my apartment laboratory. The green plant is my local native variety from here in Southern California. The red stemmed plant is a cross I made of my local with the ancient cultivar from Mexico known as Huauzontle or Aztec Spinach. Pitseed Goosefoot is widespread across North America and into South America, and is believed to be the ancestor of Quinoa. The plant seems to be getting rare in my area. I see far more introduced weedy foreign Chenopodium species.

I wasn't even aware that there was a native species of Chenopodium. Are the leaves edible?

I'm soon to attempt growing the species known as Strawberry Spinach, Chenopodium capitatum, supposedly native to mountainous areas across the whole US. I'm sure I've seen other species, though I wouldn't know what's native and what's not.

I wasn't even aware that there was a native species of Chenopodium. Are the leaves edible?
No, deadly. Just kidding. Tastes better than store bought spinach and is more nutritious. The stem and leaf undersides of my cultivar are red, so ornamental too.
I'm soon to attempt growing the species known as Strawberry Spinach, Chenopodium capitatum, supposedly native to mountainous areas across the whole US. I'm sure I've seen other species, though I wouldn't know what's native and what's not.
Strawberry Spinach; neat name. I once came across it at one spot in my local mountains.

Pitseed X 3.20.23a.jpg
Pitseed X 3.20.23b.jpg

Update

Fit in and grew well on my windowsill. Pictured plant 16 inches tall. Small 3 inch tall pot stunted it. I’ve seen the native variety in the wild grow over 6 feet tall.

Last edited:
Back