What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Dormancy is approaching slowly up here in New Jersey and soon my VFT will go to sleep. Reading on the discussion forum, that some people leave their plants in their pots and put them in the fridge while others dig out the bulb of the VFT. Putting it in a damp tissue within a plastic Ziploc bag then putting it in the refrigerator. My question is that which of these methods are better?

wow... This discussion has become a tad bit heated before, but ok!
smile.gif

I personally believe that removing them from the pots and wrapping them up after a fungicide treatment is the best way...

In nature these plants will probably still have ground water moving about their roots air circulation around their leaves, and so on, in a refrigerator, it is stagnation city, a prime environment for fungus to attack your plant, so you remove it from the conditions that assist fungus, I.E. that wonderful growing media you have your plant in most of the year, is a detriment right now.

Also keep in mind, that if your collection is even moderately large, you won't have room for food after you put your plants to bed for the winter if they were all in pots!

We have pulled plants out and done just what Ram has done. No problem.

I like to eat and just can't give up the room for all the pots.

Plus when Spring comes around...you have the perfect excuse to repot and allow your plant to flourish throughout the year. :cool:

If you leave the plants in the pots...I would highly recommend that you treat the soil/plant with some fungicide.

If you take them out...I haven't put anything on them. But I do just keep an eye on them to make sure that they are doing ok.

smile.gif
I am a paranoid guy... so I will be spritzing my plants with fungicide provided by Petflytrap this winter... and I take them all out of their soil... better safe than sorry!

I agree...it is all about how confortable you feel with the treatment of your plants.
Anytime we have put plants into dormancy...we take them out of the soil.
But for the person that just has a few...leaving them in the soil is fine too. I think though if you do that ...YOU MUST TREAT THE PLANT. Leaving it in the soil...cold, dark, wet...you are inviting something to happen. Without the soil...you are playing it safer.

So do you spray the whole plant with fungicide, like roots,rhyzome and leaves? Or do you keep it off of the roots?

The chemicals that we sell ( very shameless plug)...You can mix up a batch...then 'dunk' the pot into it. So the fungicides will eventually get it all. Both the things that we sell on the site will not hurt the plant at all. The Banrot or the Cleary 3336 is ok.

When digging out the rhizome or the bulb, should I do it now?

Yep
smile.gif
and be careful not to damage the roots.

I wrapped mine up in a paper towel and sparayed cleary fungicide and put it in a zip-lock.Then i placed it in the fridge.Is this ok?

You should be fine.

just keep an eye on them and make sure that they don't go dry.

how often should i water them?and should i water them everytime with the fungicide mixture or just distilled water.how often do i spray them with the fungicide?

Back