What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dormancy

ok i have picture plants and well they died
smile_h_32.gif
i just found out about dormancy yes im a new grower well i was wandering how do i do dormancy? i ask that cause i live in Florida and its hot all year around and they need to be cold

does it drop below 50 for the most part?

Then youre set.. i would let other Florida growers fill you in, this is just what i know, light period needs to be changed i heard and they will go into dormancy even w/ out cold... Ill look some more up on this..

Cheers

well let me say this: last december i could have gone to the beach. so no

what part of florida.. or at least youre zone?
Their are CP's that grow in florida (Sarr's and a small patch of VFT in northern florida)

im in the panhandle

thanks but if i get plants that cant fit in the frige what should i do?

Hey reg,

I live near Tampa, Florida and I have no problem with any of my Sarracenia going into dormancy. Tampa consistently had temperatures of about 40F at night and 60F during the day all winter long. However, most of my plants go dormant in November way before temperatures reach 50F due to the reduction in sunlight hours. You must have cold blood to think the panhandle is warm during the winter. It turns out that part of Florida has a lot of wild growing Sarracenia than most parts of florida. You should have no problem with your plants going dormant. Hope this helps.

Chris

Contact Trent and Michelle Meeks of Sunbelle Exotics. They live in south Florida. They KNOW sarr dormancy for you and your area.

The panhandle? You should be set, I could grow my Sarras in central FL (Palm Bay) year round, unless you're extremely close to the beach you should be fine

Where in the Panhandle? Franklin Co., Bay Co., Liberty Co., Wakalulla Co., Santa Rosa Co., Okaloosa Co., Escambia Co., Walton Co., Gulf Co.? Where? If you are in the panhandle, put your plants outside, enjoy them, and quit worrying. You have the best help anywhere right here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Mar. 31 2006,9:08)]Where in the Panhandle? Franklin Co., Bay Co., Liberty Co.,  Wakalulla Co., Santa Rosa Co., Okaloosa Co., Escambia Co., Walton Co., Gulf Co.? Where? If you are in the panhandle, put your plants outside, enjoy them, and quit worrying. You have the best help anywhere right here.
okaloosa

You are surrounded by pitcher plants in Okaloosa County. If they grow outdoors year round in all the counties I listed to you, put'em outdoors and don't worry about anything but exyra moth and other pests.

Back