What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogwood Alliance protests Tacobell

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
The local chapter of Dogwood Alliance, http://www.dogwoodalliance.org , staged a protest at a taco bell today. It was on the news and if they post a video of the event I'll post it here.

Wilmington Fast Food and Trees
Posted: <script language="JavaScript">var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Feb 6, 2008 12:00 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);</script>Feb 6, 2008 09:00 AM
Updated: <script language="JavaScript">var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Feb 6, 2008 12:09 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);</script>Feb 6, 2008 09:09 AM
WILMINGTON -- Members of the Dogwood Alliance were protesting in front of the Taco Bell on South College Road, Wednesday.
The Dogwood Alliance is an organization that is against corporations' impact of industrial forestry practices.
About a dozen members voiced their concerns that fast food restaurants are destroying Southeastern North Carolina's swampland region by using paper packaging.
Trees in the Green Swamp area are cut down and used for paper packaging.
The alliance has collectd 1,300 signatures in a petition that will be sent to the CEO of Yum Brands.
Yum Brands is the parent company of Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and KFC.
"These are 1,300 people that are involved in this campaign. From there, we are going to radiate out and get 10,000 more in the next couple of months, and they are a message to the CEO. Something we convey to them, give to them, and deliver to them," said Ruth Morrison of the Dogwood Alliance.
Members of the organization plan to protest at other Wilmington fast food restaurants in the upcoming weeks

I protested Taco Bell once by not eating there for a year, but I was protesting their bad service. I was eventually drawn back to the cheap food. You get what you pay for-Fast Food = cheap food and lousy service.

Hi Ozzy, I was shocked at how much the Green Swamp changes from one year to the next. We usually visit that area once a year or every other year. They timber sooo much, it is very sad.

Have these protesters never heard of tree farms? If Taco Bell uses paper that comes from that small amount of nonrenewable trees, then the protesters might have a leg to stand on. Otherwise it sounds like they're a bunch of ignorant fools.

http://www.ecology.com/feature-stories/paper-chase/index.html
Paper making also uses up vast quantities of trees. But trees are a renewable resource, which means that once one is cut down another can be planted in its place. In fact, much of the wood used by paper companies in the U.S. comes from privately owned tree farms where forests are planted, groomed and thinned for harvest in 20 to 35 year cycles, depending on the tree species. Around the world, tree farms supply 16% of all wood used in the paper industry while the bulk comes from second growth forests. Only 9% of the wood used to make paper is harvested from old growth forests, which are impossible to replace because of their maturity.

The tree farms are the problem. While you can always replant a tree, it doesn't stop the damage of the tree farms. What they are protesting is the destruction of the southern forest. They get companies that uses paper, like Taco Bell to only buy paper that has come from a sustainable forest. The tree farms are not sustainable. The paper that Taco Bell uses comes directly from the Green swamp. International paper has dug drainage ditches and spray herbicides that kills almost every plant except for the one tree species they plant. There is no diversity in the tree farms. They can not support the animals that live there.

Back