What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this look right? (Beginner TC help)

• Thread starter Camden M
  • Start date
So, I’m looking at getting into TC & this is what’s in my carts rn. Does this look right? Do I need to change anything? I’m looking at mainly TC’ing heli’s and some neps.

Attachments

• 5CD52C52-36FB-4AFE-87E4-5C7467942C0F.jpeg
    5CD52C52-36FB-4AFE-87E4-5C7467942C0F.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 14
  • D5499CAA-A058-4881-AAC7-5966F69F3F2B.png
    D5499CAA-A058-4881-AAC7-5966F69F3F2B.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 0BC06BB9-698B-438C-8372-D7C1D2DEE966.png
    0BC06BB9-698B-438C-8372-D7C1D2DEE966.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 14
Following this thread, interested in the advice so I can follow it myself!

I can't help with this, but I modified the title so it doesn't get looked over.

Just to clarify, do you already have all of the jars, forceps, ph meter, scales, protocols for your plants, agar, clean box, sterilizing methods, etc,etc? It would be helpful to know what stage of information you are and how much equipment you already have. I did TC with tropical and terrestrial orchids. It takes a lot of misc stuff to do TC.
I think for just starting out, a spoon is as good as an expensive stirring machine.

Nope haven't ordered anything yet. Besides the pretty common stuff (sugar, vinegar, H2O2, etc.) I haven't any of the special stuff. This is where I'm getting all my knowledge so far - Plant Tissue Culture Basics

The Home TissueCulture group is where I learned a lot of my info. It was a good group. Lots os good people and info.According to what I’ve read lately, it has disbanded. You my still be able to get in touch with Carol. I took one of her seminars. It very informative. Here is a YouTube link to a video copy of a seminar Carol did. It is not the best quality but has a lot of information of beginning level techniques. This is how I started.
. I made a glove box and it worked very well.
You will need protocols for each plant species you want to propagate. Phytotechlab.com has nepenthes propagation chemicals. Protacols are sometimes posted on science publishing sites. Search the web.
There is also a site researchgate.net that has research papers. Some have protocols for different carnivorous plants.
It will take a while to get your techniques down. Keep trying, it’s rewarding.
You can get measuring scales, pH meters and lot of stuff from Amazon.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Apparently the site didn’t like my link. “HTTPS://YouTu.be/U-Wza5frZY”. Hope this goes through.

There is a list server on “group.io”.the hometissuecuture group. I used to belong. It was very informative. It appears to be somewhat active. It does have 25 years of correspondence. It requires signing up. It is free. “ https://groups.io/g/hometissueculture”. It shows Carol still in charge. This URL will get u to it. you have options there to sign up or form new interest groups.

Apparently the site didn’t like my link. “HTTPS://YouTu.be/U-Wza5frZY”. Hope this goes through.
The original link works fine you just gotta click it and play on youtube. The video owner has set for it to not play directly on websites not this forum messing it up. :)
Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner
Thanks for directing Camden to his start of TC!

Wow! So much stuff to look up and do now! Thank you! Will definitely keep posted. :)

Back