What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Sundews Need Acidic Conditions?

• Thread starter Acro
  • Start date
Can Drosera grow in neutral PH conditions, instead of acidic? Do they even need acidic conditions? Or are they just filling an ecological niche, staking claim to conditions (acidic) that other plants can't handle (Such as the mangroves in saltwater mentioned below)?

Red mangroves are often found living in saltwater and brackish water, because other trees can't live in those conditions. However red mangroves are absolutely capable of living in freshwater, but they normally don't, because other plants and trees often outcompete them for use of freshwater habitats. This got me thinking about the above ^ question.

Of course, I'm speaking in general terms about those Drosera that actually are found in peat bogs and other acidic situations. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Can't say for sure, but I have burmanii volunteers in a cocopeat pot. I don't think cocopeat is acidic like peat or sphagnum. They seem happy enough.

Back