What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do i even need an RO filter?

• Thread starter Ridetsu
  • Start date
i did test my water - and it surprised me by coming out at 40 PPM on my TDS meter - sometimes even 36 (i seriously sampled about 40 cups of water, and anything in my house/yard that i could).

what has concerned me though, is that i tested the water quality of the water inside the dishes, and was shocked to see they got well over 120ppm! could this be because of the sand/peat minerals that come from the bottom of the plant-pots?

Was wondering when caplocks would mention the RO unit on ebay! I also got mine on ebay and it works wonderfully, only $120. Tested the water with a TDS meter, and it read 2ppm.

I also bought my R/O filter on ebay for $100. At this price I don't know why anyone with more than a few plants doesn't buy one. I find r/o water makes a BIG difference in the taste of my coffee, and is great to use in my aquarium.

I got mine from the same vendor as Capslock and have been very pleased... and ditto on zero's comment, coffee and sun tea taste great... I go through about 6 gal a day, I use it for my own personal consumption, my humidifiers, my silly cat wont drink tap water anymore (spoiled LOL) and all my plants love it

i have upgraded it some but the basic system was around the 120$ range "to the door" IIRC

great investment, get the basic system then upgrade later if you feel you must, but a "counter top unit" for $250? IMHO dont buy something that takes "special or unique" replacement filters...

keep it simple

tap 100+ppm in, 0ppm out :)

Costco.com has two RO units you can buy online:

one for $139.99:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

and a "zero waste water" unit for $289.99:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Shipping is about $14 + sales tax where applicable (Oregon should be exempt).

You do not need to be a Costco member to buy on line but non-members pay 5% more than members.

They sell the cheaper unit in the warehouse stores, but you need to be a member.

Back