What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dish Garden

This project turned out exceptionally well, and I thought it'd be a good one to share. It's a dish garden which will eventually house some Mexican Pinguicula in my office window at work.

Materials:

- Outer shell of self-watering pot from Wal-Mart ....... $5
- Black plastic kitchen funnel, approximately 2.5" diameter from grocery store ....... $3 for pack of three different sizes
- 25/25/50 peat/sand/perlite media ....... ~$0.50

I cut the funnel to the proper height, then flattened it using some needlenose pliers so that it takes up less surface area. Then, just held it in place and packed media around it until it was firmly in place. The funnel allows you to water the garden without spewing perlite, sand, and peat everywhere. It also allows you to monitor the water reserve level in the bottom of the undrained garden, so you don't drown your plants. The black color makes it pretty unobtrusive. No plants in it yet, and only little leaf pulling sprouts going into it for now. Patience.....

MexipingDishGarden.jpg

That's awesome! I'd love to put something together like that. Ingenious idea with the funnel for watering. That'll definitely keep everything cleaner and neater.

Do you know what Pings you're going to plant in there? I think some P. esseriana would look really nice.

I have some misc. pings in a bonsai dish. I can post pics if you want. If you won't laugh :)

One is a little sunburnt since I moved it outside. I've got P. gigantea... uhhh kohres x montezumae, P. 'Aphrodite', uhhh.. P. jaumavensis... a couple other ones. I think that's it. I'm not into pings so I just threw them all in one dish. I'll post tomorrow. They are all small.

Thanks for the comments. I'm envisioning one or two larger pings like John Rizzi or another moranensis derivative cross, and some smaller ones like esseriana/ehlersiae or the Yucco Do '1717' that I have. I like the idea of the softer pink/orange of the John Rizzi with the deeper pink of the esseriana/ehlersiae. It'll be like a carnivorous succulent dish garden!

PS: JLAP, you've gotta post your pic! I'm curious to see how this thing will look when it grows in, in like 3 years haha

You should get an aquatic Utric and put it in the funnel. Something like U. gibba would go nuts in there. I'd like to see it once it's planted.
~Joe

Thanks for the comments. I'm envisioning one or two larger pings like John Rizzi or another moranensis derivative cross, and some smaller ones like esseriana/ehlersiae or the Yucco Do '1717' that I have. I like the idea of the softer pink/orange of the John Rizzi with the deeper pink of the esseriana/ehlersiae. It'll be like a carnivorous succulent dish garden!

PS: JLAP, you've gotta post your pic! I'm curious to see how this thing will look when it grows in, in like 3 years haha

Those would be cool choices. I've always wanted to try some undrained containers for CPs but I just don't have the room. Maybe someday....

Wow...that's such a neat little garden. I love the funnel idea. Post pictures once you get the pings in there.

Don't laugh lol. They look a little crappy from going from the terrarium to outside.

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01958.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

JLAP do you still have your messed up 'Titan'?? i think i may have finally figured out its "secret" PM me and i think i may be able to help.

Nah I gave it away. Them.

Darn. well mine was like yours and i finally fixed it with 2 T12 4ft flourescents. 2 normal leaves and a gorgeous pink coloration!
Alex

Don't laugh lol. They look a little crappy from going from the terrarium to outside.

I don't see anything to laugh at there. Seems like a nice dish.

xvart.

They look like healthy plants growing outside, where imperfections abound. Good growing!

Just an update, with the bowl partially planted. More to come, as I get the plants filled in. These two are P. x 'Sethos' and P. esseriana, both purchased recently from a nursery.

MexipingDishGarden012.jpg

WOW! Looks great.
Cool idea.

The oval shape of the funnel breaks the "round" monotony of the pot and plants and contrasts nicely with the white color of the pot. Makes it a little more interesting as opposed to having "more of the same". Nice job :bigthumpup:

Hey Jrod,

What a cool idea. Please remember to post pics of the finished project. Just for size perspective, how big is the container?

you should trademark that idea! :jester:

Back