What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea Farming

So this 3.5" pot was sitting there with a good growth of mixed Drosera capensis quite evident. At soil level there were a few Dionaea seedlings showing so I decided to separate the two. The larger D. capensis went into a 4" round pot but as I opened up the media to bare root them it became apparent there was a little more than a few Dionaea. I therefore selected two trays and thought "I should get them in these".

A hundred prickings-out later I went for another two trays and then stopped when they were replete. I now have 205 pricked-out Dionaea and the original pot I refilled with the spares.

26412066532_6d58b05cbc_o.jpg

No wonder I never have any spare room.

You have dionea seedlings just popping up like sundews? Lucky.

Luck has nothing to do with it Curtis

Look at all those babies!!! :-O

D. capensis weedy nature rubbing off on Dionaea, good lord!

Ok, you're not lucky, just really good at growing CP's.

Here's the secret to good growing Curtis.

You find out exactly what conditions you have or can easily provide. Then you find out what plants will happily grow in your environment/s.
That way the plants are the ones that grow well, you just have to water and service them. Over time you can hone the species list, this leads to a very easy time in the hobby and allows you to spend a lot of time just enjoying the plants.

Selecting exotic plants and then attempting to supply the differing alien conditions they need is the way to generating massive headaches for yourself. Most tales of woe and disaster on the forum are caused by this " I want" selection process.

Back