What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dewy pine not doing well

• Thread starter Sage269
  • Start date
This started well, but it is not looking good. Southern California, current humidity is at 47%. It had gotten down to about 27% for a few days last week.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• 20221203_101906.jpg
    20221203_101906.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 7
I am wondering what your soil mix is? At a glance, and I could be wrong, it looks like the soil is very moist. Drosophyllum is unusual for a carnivorous plant in that it usually grows in drier soil than most. Something like the moisture levels that many houseplants are healthy with should work. Also, I would ask about lighting. Like many carnivores this one likes it bright.

I agree about the soil mix.
Looks very dense and wet.
Drosophyllum like it on the dry side.
I used a very airy soil mix. 8" pot with 30% perlite, 30% vermiculite, 30% pool filter sand, 10% peat moss.

Old thread of mine.

It is equal parts perlite, pumice, lava rock, peat moss and course agriculture sand. It has 1/8 inch peat moss on top. My understanding is for the firs 4 to 6 months it wants to be wet before moving the peat pot to the final container. I had forgotten to punch some holes in the peat pot and did that a couple days ago. It actually looks like the leaves are drying out. This is my first time with this plant. Grown from seed. It sprouted about a month ago.

Remove that layer of peat on top and do not keep it sopping wet.

Ok, I have already taken it out of the water tray.

Removed the peat top. The plant was gone within 24 hours. I will try seeds again next year. Hopefully I can get a seedling from California Carnivores early next year.

Back