What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desert hiking/Limestone cave pt. 1

A friend and I went camping for a night and looking at the limestone caves the next morning in Carlsbad, New Mexico. New Mexico is just like old Mexico....its a big desert, and no one speaks English :eek:. Right near the border, Texas is green and generally nice, but as soon as you cross into NM, everything is brown and dead.

DSCN0044.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

I thought this plant was pretty gross looking....Euphorbia?
DSCN0046-1.jpg

We tried to get to that hill, but there was a barbed wire fence in the way. We slipped through, but didn't want to get shot for trespassing.
DSCN0047-1.jpg

DSCN0048-1.jpg

DSCN0049-1.jpg

DSCN0050-1.jpg

DSCN0052-1.jpg

Unlike most of the limestone caves around, these caves were formed by sulfuric acid

Natural entrance to the caverns
DSCN0056.jpg

Looking up from said entrance
DSCN0057.jpg

DSCN0059-1.jpg

DSCN0060-1.jpg

Formation in some water
DSCN0061-1.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

I fully extended my tripod (5' or so) with my camera attached, and stuck it in some little hole to get this pic:
DSCN0063.jpg

Continued in pt. 2

Very cool photos (and part 2 too). Where did the sulfuric acid come from that made the caves? I don't believe it. By the way, I didn't know banned camp was in NM. It doesn't seem like a bad deal.

sulfuric acid
mmmmmm, i can't believe it's not sulfuric acid, the tasty acidic solution that'll dissolve organic tissue with just half the calories!

They were formed by H2S (hydrogen sulfide) gas rising from below, where reservoirs of oil give off sulfurous fumes. This gas mixes with ground water and forms H2SO4 (sulfuric acid). The acid then dissolves the limestone from below, rather than from above by acidic water percolating from the surface.

Back