What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dente pic - what a difference

• Thread starter Leo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dente
Here's a dente that I bought at PFT a couple months ago (I think May) and look at it now.

Before:
vft1.jpg

After:
vft2.jpg

Oh, lovely lovely! Nice red coloration and carcasses!

It looks so robust and aggresive!
smile.gif

Wow! I like. What did you do? Under grow light? What kind? How many? Give me all of your conditions because I ordered a Dente from here aswell and it should come in like Tuesday or so. Please tell!!!(I haven't been that good with growing VFTs)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ryan @ Aug. 09 2002,5:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow! I like. What did you do? Under grow light? What kind? How many? Give me all of your conditions because I ordered a Dente from here aswell and it should come in like Tuesday or so. Please tell!!!(I haven't been that good with growing VFTs)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
actually, pretty simple.

Outside, on a northeast facing balcony in West Los Angeles (daytime 70's, nighttime 60's), original medium and pot as shipped by PFT, tray method watering with supermarket distilled water, + affection. About five hours of direct morning So Calif sun, and ambient indirect sun for another 9 hours or so.

I used to handfeed baby crickets (freezer knockout method, thanks to previous posters for the idea) to all the traps, but now it catches its own stuff, so no more pampering
smile.gif

Leo

Do you live in Southern California?I was asking if you need a plastic cup or bag on the plant to keep its humidity in Southern California.Yours don't have a cup over it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uglypho @ Aug. 09 2002,6:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you live in Southern California?I was asking if you need a plastic cup or bag on the plant to keep its humidity in Southern California.Yours don't have a cup over it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No, I've never covered my VFTs. I use a long, deep tray of water, in which I keep three pots of VFTs. The medium is permanently soggy. The water evaporates pretty fast, and this evaporation is probably what keeps the humidity at an acceptable level. I have never measured the humidity around my plant, but in general, humidity is less than 50% around here, yet the plant seems just fine. I guess I fool him into thinking that he's growing in a bog. Right now, he and the other two (Red Dragon and Green Dragon) seem indestructible.

Note that the climate in So Cal differs drastically from area to area. What I have here is Santa Monica beach climate, and the same cultivation method may not work for example in the Valleys or the Inland Empire.

Hey could you show me pics of your green and red dragon flytraps?

NIce plants and coloration to the traps.
tounge.gif

that plant looks great!

hummm....
my dente doesn'thave any red at all.  it get's drect sunlight from about 7 am till 7 pm.  in ohio.  temps range from 60's at night to 80's in the day (those are the temps now, was higher).  only use distilled water and a little supertrive.  i've had the plant about a month, maybe a month and  half.  my6 regular vft's turn red but not my dente.  

is this normal?  am i just impatient?

technoracer

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (technoracer @ Aug. 10 2002,08:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">that plant looks great!

hummm....
my dente doesn'thave any red at all.  it get's drect sunlight from about 7 am till 7 pm.  in ohio.  temps range from 60's at night to 80's in the day (those are the temps now, was higher).  only use distilled water and a little supertrive.  i've had the plant about a month, maybe a month and  half.  my6 regular vft's turn red but not my dente.  

is this normal?  am i just impatient?

technoracer[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
In my case, I got the plant in early May, and robust coloration started appearing in mid July. After the first two months, I'd given up on the dente turning red, and then a sudden explosion of color during the past month. Unpredictable plant indeed.

Incidentally, the plant started turning really red after catching its first mosquito. It's caught 2 more since, and it's getting increasingly redder. Can I make the conjecture that mosquitos make VFT's red, or is it just coincidence? Maybe mosquitos that recently sucked human blood make VFT's red? Any expert comments? I'm relatively new to this.

Leo

mosquito's, huh? maybe i'll have to become a blood bank, then grab the little buggers and feed them to my dente! thn again, west nile virus... maybe not.

techno in ohio

Back