What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep crimson traps

OK so the more red the inside of the trap is the more "happy" the plant is right? I mean over the last week the inside of the traps on my common VFT have gone from a slight red near the center of it, to deep deep red over the entire inside of the traps. There is no green visable on the inside. That's good right?

Are you sure the traps not brown as in dead.........HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...................sorry.

wow i never post...anyhoo yeah thats how mine are and have been for some time.  mine seemed to have made this change when i altered the lighting in my terrarium. i doubt you have anything to worry about. keep it cute
biggrin.gif

XDouglasX

The red color inside the trap is a good sign that your VFT is getting enought light
biggrin.gif

Continue with what you are doing. Sounds like your VFT is doing fine.

Keep in mind that as the summer heat approach, don't let your VFT get "cooked" or the soil to dry out...both are not good things for your VFT.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WayCool @ May 30 2003,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Keep in mind that as the summer heat approach, don't let your VFT get "cooked" or the soil to dry out...both are not good things for your VFT.
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ya
smile.gif
I am keeping pretty concious of that. It does not get super hot here, but I keep an eye on it. I alwayse make sure there is a good 1/3" water in the bowl my VFT's pot is in.

Hi Ancalagon

Having deep red on a trap isn't necessarily a sign of a happy plant. The traps on a VFT will turn various shades of pink to red...depends on the variety you have and its genetics. Some barely get pink at all...other can turn blood red. I just wanted to mention that because I don't want anyone to think that just because their traps aren't red, that means their plant isn't "happy" or healthy.

They do tend to develop more color in the sun...but if they stay green, don't worry!

Suzanne

Yah, consitter yourself lucky to have a clone with such good coloring. 2 out of my 3 commens are so pathedic in the color area it's funny. One doesn't even get pink in the middle, just a hazzy yellow orange, lol!

Hey anc, I'm curious. tell me your growing conditions for your VFT. Is it in greenhouse, outside, where in the U.S. do you live, how many hours of sun does it get, how fast does it turn red, what is the temps, humidity, ect.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (uglypho @ June 02 2003,02:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey anc, I'm curious. tell me your growing conditions for your VFT. Is it in greenhouse, outside, where in the U.S. do you live, how many hours of sun does it get, how fast does it turn red, what is the temps, humidity, ect.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well let me see what I can tell yout.

1) I live in Chico, CA (Thats about 100 Miles north of Sacramento)

2) It gets sun (Direct) from about 6AM - 1PM, Indirect for the rest of the day.

3) It turned red pretty quick (IMHO) I really noticed it after about a week.

4) Temps are about 80 - 85 (some times a little higher) (f)

5) Humidity .... no idea. Its generaly dry here but with the dish its in the water evaporates and keeps the air fairly humid arround the VFT.

I am not an experianced grower by any stretch.

sounds just fine to me, if humidity was going to be a problem, it would have reared it's ugly head.

watch the weather tonight to find out though! or you can do a search on your area on the web. news is easier imho.

just checked your weather, humidity is 42%
-spec

Back