What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dang raccoons!

A small family of raccoons have wreck some havic on my cp's. They ate my D. filiformis
ssp. tracyi flower stalk, they dug up my S. p. venosa so that I had to replant it. I also had 15 small VFT's from leaf pullings that got dumped out and had to be replanted (hope they survive). Maybe not the devastation some have had but irratating none the less.:censor:

That really sucks. I'm sorry this happened :(

That really sucks. If you have a live animal trap you should try to catch them and make arrangements with Plantakiss to send them to her. She has a house full of coons. She never turns away a coon.

Those dang racoons!

That really sucks. If you have a live animal trap you should try to catch them and make arrangements with Plantakiss to send them to her. She has a house full of coons. She never turns away a coon.

whhhhhaaattttt.......? :0o:

I built an enclosed coldframe w/ wire mesh on the top. It keeps the critters out, bullets are getting expensive, and serves as an overwintering spot too. Some treated 2x6's, nails and little time has saved alot of aggrivation.

That sucks, I hope they survive.

omg same thing happened to mee today too dude but its wasn;t a raccoons but its was a human being !!!!!!!!!!!!

whhhhhaaattttt.......?

If its one thing you have to learn about Ozzy...it's not to believe ANYTHING he says.

:crazy:

Do you or do you not have coons living in your house?

I do not!

Perhaps you can't tell the difference between a dog and a raccoon??

Did you have coons living in your house?

Darn raccoons

Hey there, you could always fax them to me,
I currently love raccoons, hence the name of my nursery.
While i was back east, the sister with whom I stayed told me about the 2 baby raccoon that were in the neighborhood,
I had planned a special evening to stay and watch for them. Usually I went to a nehew's home to get internet access.I have 4 new converts to carni plants. the 7 yr ol boys were so awestruck by the videos on the internet of VFT. Dad came and told them it was time for thier bath.so i told them, I'd show them one more and of course as per child rules they begged frorone more video when the last one was finished I told then that i had shown them an extra one already,I kept my promise to show them for one more video andthenI said I expected tehm to keep their promise to thei dad to take a bath.
I have never sesn such compliant children in my life.they almost ran over each other trying to be the first in the tub<LOL

The problem is I like coons too, they come up to the front porch and eat the cat food. Momma and two babies, so cute. Just stay away from the plants! I'm sure the plants will survive, all are very hardy.

Jack,
My dogs taught me this trick.
maybe if you take the cat food in at night. the raccoons will stop coming around. The cats can live 12 hrs without something to eat.
All 3 of mine are doing well and we also have less feral/stray cats . Those noisy bluejays used to bother us also. But taking the cat food up and in the house has cut down on the number and frequency of those varmints.
Somebody is here all day and so when the dogs aren't in the yard we put the cat food down for one hour, then take it back up again.
The only real way to protect your plants from raccoons is strong wire cages around your plants,you cna make a can be collapsible type.
so it stores easily when not in use (during th day)

Never underestimate the power of a determined racoon. In Florida I've seen them chew their way through a thick plastic trashcan, and pull bits of trash through one by one.

We have a Walker hound(as in coon hunting dog),he likes racoons to.:glare:

Back