What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. x nagamotoi Snyder's fertile octoploid

Hi all,

I'm curious to see whether anybody is still growing one of Dr. FrankenSnyder's early creatures: the fabulous fertile octoploid D. x nagamotoi.

If you have no idea what this is about, here's the story in a nutshell: the usual hybrid D. x nagamotoi (= D. anglica x spatulata) is sterile. Around the year 2000, Ivan Snyder created some fertile clones of the hybrid using a treatment with colchicine, by means of which he succeeded in doubling the chromosome numbers in the sterile plants, restoring fertility.

You can read a more detailed (and more accurate account) of the whole thing and Ivan Snyder's colchicine treatment experiments here, written by the man himself:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult291Colch.htm

In the early 2000s, a few growers (including my humble self) busied themselves cross-fertilizing different clones of D. x nagamotoi for the sake of genetic diversity of this "man-made species" (yes, there were big discussions about this phrase!). The seeds were distributed and grown, and the resulting plants cross-fertilized again, etc.

Now, that was around 15 years ago. Ivan Snyder (he's on this forum, incidentally—hi Ivan!) informed me that he lost the plant. I had to give up all my plants in 2008 (only now getting back into things). So far, I haven't managed to track down anyone who is still growing it.

Should this jewel be lost entirely? We can, of course, always twist Dr FrankenSnyder's arm to re-create it... ;)
but it would be very cool to find a descendent of the originals!

So, if you're growing the plant, or know of anyone who does or might, please speak up!

Oh, and if anyone remembers all this from back then and happens to have a photo, please post it! Alas, I never made one (stupid, I know, but these were different times). There's a black-and-white photo going with the CPN article linked to above.

Cheers,
Marcus

They're probably still out there mislabeled as D. tokaiensis or D. spatulata or D. sp ???

It was't that great. Mainly I wanted to show it could be done. I hope to see others make their creations fertile.

Back