What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis Dormancy

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
This is my first winter with D. filiformis 'California Sunset' and I was wondering what I should expect for dormancy. It is outside in an unheated minigreenhouse sitting in a quarter inch or so of water, and most of the leaves have browned and died. The center of the rosette looks a lot like cotton, actually: a ball of white, wispy fibers.

Sound normal?

That's about what happens when this one goes dormant: the hibernaculum forms with a thick coating of hairs all over it. Don't quote me on this, but I think the hairs are there to keep excess water from sitting on the dormant leaves.

Cool deal! That was the part that was sort of weirding me out. I had not seen that before on other plants.

Thanks!

I will take a picture of mine tomorrow for you!!

This is what mine looked like earlier today. I noticed at least with mine that sometimes they do not have the wispy hairs? Its weird. I don't know.

DSCN9754_zps4977650a.jpg

This is what mine looked like earlier today. I noticed at least with mine that sometimes they do not have the wispy hairs? Its weird. I don't know.

DSCN9754_zps4977650a.jpg

my filiformis are all dormant as well. i was about to ask is it ok to chop off all of the old dry leaves until i saw your picture:hail: Are yours growing in 100% silica?!?!?!?!

my filiformis are all dormant as well. i was about to ask is it ok to chop off all of the old dry leaves until i saw your picture:hail: Are yours growing in 100% silica?!?!?!?!

I usually just cut off the dead leaves like in this picture. I do not know if anyone else does? And it is just a top layer of silica; silica and peat mix underneath.

Back