What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae Stories

Cindy

Staff member
You don't love to hate it but really hate to love it.

Story 1

So...it has a habit of turning all brown and dry.

adelaegrouch010306rs.jpg

Then you pull out the plant and find a long healthy root (fresh red tip)!

adelaegrouchroottip010306rs.jpg

You chop it up...

adelaegrouchsplit010306rs.jpg

And is ready for babies again...

adelaegrouchperlite010306rs.jpg

Story 2

You have a pot with four D. adelae. Quite cool.

adelaepot010306rs.jpg

Then you notice that one plant in the pot goes bonkers again.

adelaepotgrouch010306rs.jpg

But it gives you a offshoot...

adelaepotoffshoot010306rs.jpg

STORY 3

You buy a D. californica from Lowes. It is the only plant visible in their 3 in one cube. You go to repot the plant and discover both a VFT & D. adelae buried in the soil media. Soon after the D. adelae is repotted it contracts aphids. It survives the aphid drowning and a several months later it sends up a flower stalk... and another.... and another. That picture is forthcoming, but here is the post-aphid / pre-flowering plant:

AF001001.jpg

I think you two should coauthor a story-book for CP growers!

There are days when aphids strike,
smile_k_ani_32.gif
greenhouse heating fails ,
smile_k_ani_32.gif
or hanging baskets fall
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and for those kinds of days, we need that sort of "pick-me-up." I'd be the first to buy it!
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

D. adelae looks great when it's not playing possum.

I really need to split this pot up as there are so many plants in it they are killing each other.
Dadelae.jpg

Scott,
Where exactly is your D. californica?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

Scott could write an entire book called:
jimscott - A Series Of Unfortunate Events

Steve, my cobra lily is safe and sound in the attic, just waiting to come out of dormancy!

Hey, I like that title. Good one!
smile.gif

I like the lone plant at the bottom of the pot!

I noticed adelae likes to sprout new plants from just about anything touching the ground. Such as roots, tips of the leafs touching the ground, dying leafs and so on... In october I had 1 adelae... now I have something like 20 (cant count because they are on top of each other), and are starting to invade D. capensis territory of the terrarium... lets see who wins
smile.gif

Incredibly, my plant has 3 flower stalks and zero plantlets. Don't know why.  
confused.gif

My Adelae loves to send offshoots clear across the terrarium. I planted one Adelae in one corner and I got baby Adelae in the opposite. That offshoot traveled through Nep, VFT, and other sundew roots to get there.

Back