What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae Die Out of Nowhere / Wonderful Scent

I have a pot in my room with LFS and baby D. adelae that grew from the roots of a mama plant that died. I probably have 6-8 babies in there, but out of nowhere, several of them stopped growing (still have balled up new leaves on top, that were ready to uncurl), and the dew doesn't exist. I was hoping for this pot to fill with these, since I've read that these spread like weeds.

On a side note, back in the day, I used to keep a big clear container over them when trying to control humidity (stupid), and when I'd take it off, it smelled wonderful! Did you ever sniff D. adelae after capturing all the aroma under a container? Soooo good.

i cant grow adelae to save my life, dont feel bad.......they dont live a week at my place......

I've heard d. adelae grows faster than capensis sometimes but i think d. capensis is more of a weed. i find d. adelae picky, i put it outside in full sun last summer remembering the more sun you give it the redder the leaves got. i do the same with my capensis, the capensis's leaves died and nice fresh leaves grew covered with dew. the adelae just died to the roots then at the end of the summer just as i was about to give up on the pot, i saw 1 baby that must have come up from the roots. so i brought it inside, and put it in my propagation chamber where it then grew into 4-5 small plants. i moved them out to the windowsill and then they started to not look that great and i lost a few, put them back in the terrarium few more babies popped up from the old roots from the mother plant that died that summer. and today i finally took it out of the terrarium hoping they will acclimate better this time around :p. i mean capensis i find 99% more of a weed than adelae, or that might just be because i havn't found how to grow it great yet either

i grow capensis in a big picture window at the office, old single pane window.......it does not do well in the summer for me, it struggles while the binatas thrive.....fall rolls around and the binatas die back for a few months and the capensis looks great until late spring when it starts going downhill again and the binatas get going good.....been the cycle for about 4 years now.....

was going to check were you live but your believed to be dead haha

hmmm, mine seem to take all abuse, they thrive right in the windowsill year round once they've established themselves after repotting, even flowers sometimes. and in the summer all i do is take them from the windowsill partial sun and throw them right in full sun, kills there leaves but they start producing nice new leaves, especially with the different varieties, right now i can't tell albino from typical, but i bet this summer when i put them in full sun and they start producing new leaves, they will be very easily id'd, they definitely look better in full sun, but they dont look that bad in the windowsill now.

On a side note, back in the day, I used to keep a big clear container over them when trying to control humidity (stupid), and when I'd take it off, it smelled wonderful! Did you ever sniff D. adelae after capturing all the aroma under a container? Soooo good.

haha, yup i have smells horrible, and waterlogged soil.

northeast corner of Montana.....

was going to check were you live but your believed to be dead haha

hmmm, mine seem to take all abuse, they thrive right in the windowsill year round once they've established themselves after repotting, even flowers sometimes. and in the summer all i do is take them from the windowsill partial sun and throw them right in full sun, kills there leaves but they start producing nice new leaves, especially with the different varieties, right now i can't tell albino from typical, but i bet this summer when i put them in full sun and they start producing new leaves, they will be very easily id'd, they definitely look better in full sun, but they dont look that bad in the windowsill now.

haha, yup i have smells horrible, and waterlogged soil.

I'm not sure who you're talking to about who lives where. You quoted me, so I'll say Pittsburgh. My adelae is in my avatar now. :-D

I think it may be my pot that lets it get too dry. It's just in 100% LFS, and the watering holes are in narrow than the edges.... See here.

i would use a 50/50 peat perlite mix, and dont let the water level go up more than 1/4 up the pot, maybe more during hot summers but now i dont think they need that much. they like to be moist, not soaking wet. i think i have similar pots to those ones. just mine were green and got them from the dollar store, um i drilled holes in the bottom though i eventually gave up on them after my plants grew in them for a summer, i repot like every year and decided to try other pots. i saw some seeds grow in 100% peat, though its good to have perlite to airate your soil, helps with healthy roots. and preventing the bad smell.

if you dont mind me asking LFS is peat moss right? sorry ive seen it before just never really asked.

i would use a 50/50 peat perlite mix, and dont let the water level go up more than 1/4 up the pot, maybe more during hot summers but now i dont think they need that much. they like to be moist, not soaking wet. i think i have similar pots to those ones. just mine were green and got them from the dollar store, um i drilled holes in the bottom though i eventually gave up on them after my plants grew in them for a summer, i repot like every year and decided to try other pots. i saw some seeds grow in 100% peat, though its good to have perlite to airate your soil, helps with healthy roots. and preventing the bad smell.

if you dont mind me asking LFS is peat moss right? sorry ive seen it before just never really asked.

Yeah, peat would probably help soak up the water better. LFS is kinda like pieces of yarn, and I think by the time it gets to the top, there might be too much air and it's all dry around the roots, and not getting the plants the water they need. Also, I don't know how important the hot summers part is, because I intend to keep this as an indoor houseplant.

I drilled holes in mine, too. I'm going to go to Walmart and hope to find more planters like what I have VFTs and pitcher plants in:
IMG_3550.JPG

The green one. You water it from the bottom. I want to get a couple.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see your question at the bottom. Yeah, peat moss is made from decayed, compacted Sphagnum moss, according to wikipedia.

Cute squirrel.

Stealin' my water from my pie plate! The squirrel had something wrong with its left eye (maybe didn't have one), so I could always tell when it was that one coming around. Later, I found some of my VFT traps chewed off, and my nep's pitcher chewed off, so I stopped thinking the squirrels were so cute. :-(

oh i didnt see it before, you have hopefully nice squirrels, we have really horrible squirrels, they ate up my nep leaves and killed a couple last summer. they might look nice now, but be aware of changing attitudes.

::::replied before i did

We have feral cats that would rather drink that water than what's in the waterer we put out for them. Lazy.

I won't mention the skunks, opossums and stupid coon that come by, either. Darned coon, likes to dig!

and chipmunks :devil:

Back