What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings

glider14

Always a newbie
hello,
first off: can a cutting be taken at any age?
second: do you have better success with water or soil?
third: should a leaf be cut off or pulled off?
and last:can the conditions be the same as the mother plant?
thanks you all
alex

Alex, which plants are you contemplating taking cuttings? I find that D. binata and filiformis are the easiest to propogate by taking leaf cuttings. I have done soil and water and they sprout equally as well. The only caveat I have about water is the transition from water to soil, thereafter. It can be done; it just requires a bit of acclimating, whereas if started in soil, it doesn't need to be transplanted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 25 2006,6:09)]hello,
first off: can a cutting be taken at any age?
second: do you have better success with water or soil?
third: should a leaf be cut off or pulled off?
and last:can the conditions be the same as the mother plant?
thanks you all
alex
1. Yes.
2. IME water.
3. For me, cuttings work better if I pull them off.
4. Yes, they will do better if the conditions are close to the parents conditions.
dewy

jimscott: they are D. Capensis and D. Adaele
thanks to both of you
alex

1.Depends on the sundew, with something like D.spatulata you can do it anything because they only make one plantlet per leaf. With a sundew like D.filiformis or capensis, it's best to let it age a bit, because the longer the leaf is, the more plantlets it will produce.
2.I never had success with soil. I use water. Only cp I had success with was my ping.
3.Either way
4.I put mine by the windowsill, I can never get a cutting to work when left outside.

D. capensis is bomb proof..  use a leaf, a root, a flower stalk, whatever. Let it flower and it will drown you with seeds.

For D. adelae, root cuttings are by far the fastest and easiest. In fact that plant will start producing plants from its roots all by itself in notime at all.

6 months ago I yanked out this plant, ripped it apart into 10 divisions and saved 1 single plant for myself. As you can see, its ready to divide again all on its own.

adelae22506small1.JPG

adelae22506small2.JPG

adelae22506small3.JPG

Full size pics can be seen here: full size 1   full size 2   full size 3

Cheers
Steve

ahhh im soo jealous my adaele is funky looking...IT FINALLY HAS RED TIPPED TENTECALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! but the leaves went from lance shaped to round shaped once it started to grow. i just pulled someleaves and i think i hurt it......the stem sorta split...will it be ok? hey i might be lucky another growth point could come out of it
smile_n_32.gif

Aha but Capensis can fall...rot it was terrible for me. i tried to do root cuttings but there were none!!!

ok i just looked at two Capensis leaves(cutting taken a couple of weeks ago) and they have small red dots all along the petioles. new growth? BTW these are growing in pure vermiculite,

Um, why my sundews never look so dewy like others =(, whats the secret!!!??
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ImWindPlant @ Feb. 26 2006,4:03)]Um, why my sundews never look so dewy like others =(, whats the secret!!!??
smile_h_32.gif
L-I-G-H-t!
smile.gif
And lots of it!

yes A LOT of light!! i can make my sundews dew but not redden them up(except for adaele)

Both dew and redness come from adequate lighting.... first the dew and then the red. Give it time. D. adelae leaves don't actually turn red. They turn bronze, with red tentacles.

I've discovered that adding some daylight fluorescence bulbs, in addition to cool whites bulbs, will greatly redden plants (atleast in my case).

Chris

or some free sunlight!
biggrin.gif

Back