What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cuttings of assorted Byblis species

Cindy

Staff member
B. liniflora cuttings worked for me. This time round, I had the chance to try out another species when the whole pot of B. guehoi fell over and a branch broke. :lol:

About 2 weeks later...
byblis_guehoi_cutting.jpg

Close-up of roots
byblis_guehoi_roots.jpg

New plant potted up. And ready to go to another parent. :flowers:
byblis_guehoi_cutting_potted.jpg

Since it was a success, I decided to save some the declining B. liniflora as well as take more B. guehoi cuttings. Will be trying it on B. 'Goliath' and B. rorida once they are almost done with flowering.

byblis_liniflora_decline.jpg

B. liniflora cutting
byblis_liniflora_cutting.jpg

B. guehoi cuttings
byblis_guehoi_cuttings.jpg

A mixture of cuttings
byblis_liniflora_guehoi_cuttings.jpg

Cool
Are those being rooted in 100% perlite?

Nice save!

Wow I never knew Byblis could be propagated like this. Does it make a differnce if they are flowering? do they form roots as easily if they have already started flowering? I know flowers change the hormone balance of the plant so I just wondered.

Cool
Are those being rooted in 100% perlite?

Yup, 100% perlite.

Wow I never knew Byblis could be propagated like this. Does it make a differnce if they are flowering? do they form roots as easily if they have already started flowering? I know flowers change the hormone balance of the plant so I just wondered.

I have taken cuttings from not-yet-flowering B. liniflora plants before and they work too. Not sure if the time taken was any different though.

Very cool! I didn't know you could root Byblis from cuttings. Huh.. learn something new everyday.

Updates... :boogie:

1. Both B. liniflora and B. guehoi cuttings have started to root
2. B. rorida cuttings taken

B. guehoi cutting - roots formed in perlite + water
byblis_guehoi_roots.jpg

B. guehoi cuttings in sphagnum moss - this method works equally well
byblis_guehoi_cutting_offshoot.jpg

B. guehoi branch on the main plant where a cutting was taken - offshoot produced after just 5 days!
byblis_guehoi_stem_offshoot.jpg

B. rorida cuttings producing offshoots - main plant's leaves were mostly yellowing when the cuttings were taken so this is a nice surprise.
byblis_rorida_cuttings.jpg

Wow, I didn't know they did that!

Very useful info, Cindy! Thanks for doing the work (nice shots, too.)

- Mark

B. guehoi cuttings in the egg container. :lol:
byblis_cuttings_egg_container.jpg

Success - B. rorida cutting on the left.
byblis_rorida_cutting_rooted.jpg

LOL! No perlite?

Rooted in perlite, potted in LFS! LOL

These are slow! :0o:

15 Oct - the leaves have already turned brown on the plant so I cut them away
byblis_guehoi_A.jpg

24 Nov - interestingly, the new shoots appeared very close to the base of the stem
guehoi_cutting_without_leaves.jpg

Awesome! Byblis is an amazing plan! Never grown any myself though... Are they difficult? Id love to get myhands on one soon. They look like sundew trees :lol:

wow congratulations! they look very beautiful btw :)

B. rorida (green) and B. 'Goliath' (pink) cuttings

byblis_rorida_Goliath_cuttings.jpg

There's the perlite!

not looked into byblis in while, never knew could do cutting, also noticed you do not do slack potting. swear i rember people saying need to slack pot byblis, cause root systems sensitive ?

Back