What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting and repotting quesiton

Hello everyone
I have a highland species that I bought (years ago and it was not labeled). As you can see in the pics, I keep it in a plastic pot inside a taller container (which I think was a small trash bin at some point). I just finished trimming it. The window is SE facing. I live in zone 7, so its cold outside and the humidity is not ideal, but it has survived many winters here and tends to bounce back quickly in the spring.

However, I would like to repot it and I have a rooted cutting I took from it that needs to be potted for a friend. I have dried sphagnum to use. I was also thinking about crumbling up some of the dried leaves I cut from the plant and adding that to the soil mix. Has anyone tried this? I figure it might act the same way as a fine orchid bark or coconut husk or perlite and have the added bonus of adding some nutrients back into the soil (which the plant doesn't use a lot of, but still)

Also, how can I do a cutting that will increase my growing points? Should I wait until early spring to do that?

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• 20171228_080356.jpg
    20171228_080356.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20171228_080335.jpg
    20171228_080335.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
I'm not sure that putting old leaves to the soil would do much of anything, although I've never tried it myself. When cutting off the top growth you'll usually get one or more nodes lower on the vine to activate and start growing. I tend to wait until there is another node already activated just to be sure though. Cuttings can be taken any time of year really. Your plant looks to be a x miranda, a common artificial hybrid, based on the leaves if you got it unlabeled from a general nursery or hardware store.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't think adding dead leaves to the soil would be a good idea - it would simply provide a good habitat for fungus to grow.

Back