What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

critique my cephalotus soil mix

Just repotted my first cephalotus, from Borneo exotics, and potted a few leaf pulls I was lucky enough to receive from RSS.

Based on what I've read, I used a mixture about equal parts pumice, perlite and sand mixed about 50/50, and peat.

Does anyone have any cautions or suggestions? I understand that a big part of success with any media is how you water it. With this relatively open mix I keep about a half inch of water in the tray. All of the planta are partially shaded, about 20% for the established plant, 50% for the leaf pulls.

Non from me. Your plants will be your biggest critics.

In the past I used to use a small percentage peat combined with a lot of other fillers. I noticed they the less peat I used the smaller the roots became. Since then I still use other fillers but more peat. For me it seemed that my cephs were working too hard to find water so by adding more peat they didn't send out a lot of hairlike fan roots and made bigger thicker roots.

Ymmv. It's always fun to experiment. They key is to not make a lot of adjustments along the way.

Back