What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crestview cp site

Yeah...I know those are just averages. Temps will fluctuate higher and lower than that. But that was all I could find on environment for that area.

Here in VA we don't just get "dips" in the temperature. We can have long cold spells and snow on the ground for extended periods at times. So I'm going to be a little cautious with these.

Just wanted to let you know mine came on Wednesday. They are potted up in their new homes.

Mine came as well, many thanks to you. I only found 1 little inchworm of some kind. SPLAT!!! Sorry bug but you don't belong this far north. The look pretty good considering.

Thanks
Joe

Brooks, thank you for putting in the time to send these plants out. I recieved mine today, and I am very gratefull for all your work. Thanks!

As Brook's said before, this is an example to the community at large that we are serious about not allowing the sarracenia to disappear from this country, even if you mow down every last one of them. We will be there to pick up the pieces, and make sure those pieces stay intact with their genetic integrity. DO NOT allow them to flower in proximity to your other plants. Bag'em if you know how, or just plain isolate them so no other sarr pollen can get to them. Preserve the genome for our future, and let the seed's be "pure" from this site, and this site only. Then any seed you plant, grow, and give away, can have this location data transferred along with it. Everyone will know, 100 years down the road, that any plant that they get from the ICPS, or NASC is true to its species, and the exact spot where it came from will be known, and documented in the NASC archives when we finally get into swing. Still, many more bogs are in trouble, so be aware of what is going on around you, keep your eyes open, and save all the plants you can. Each and every site is unique to itself because of the genes passed around in it for who knows how long. All of you who received these plants, my hat is off to you. Thank you for stepping forward to accept the responsibility of knowing what it means to steward these plants. You guard them like a child of your own. It is a big responsibility not to mix the plants, unless you do a personal hybrid under very tight controls. Good growing, to all of you!

Mine are settling in as we speak - they should look great next season. Thanks again Brooks for all the effort.

Hey BugMeister...could either you or Brooks write up a little "article" on how to bag the sarracenia flowers?

We could then pin the topic and it would be there for reference for any time plants are rescued and placed into stewardship. That way people wouldn't have to keep asking and there would be a better chance for keeping the genetics pure.

For that matter...you could also add how to cross pollinate two (like) plants and THEN how to bag.

I think it would be a BIG help!

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

I received my plants this week in good condition and potted them up in a mix of 40% peat, 40% silica sand and 20% perlite. Now the the pitchers are suddenly looking all dry. Another grower mentioned the same thing happening with his crestview plants. Anybody know what's going on?
Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ July 31 2004,8:02)]Now the the pitchers are suddenly looking all dry.
Hi Rubra,
Same thing here, but I am watering daily from the top with superthrive solution, and moved the plants to a more shaded location. While I expected the old pitchers (few that they are) to die, I'm already seeing new growth and a healthy pink color at the base. Hang in there.

Sounds like definite shock to me. I recommend you use a superthrive solution like JBL to counteract the shock and stimulate root growth!! Right away!!

Hey gang,
When we collected the plants they went into plastic bags were watered and were sealed. (High humidity) When I got them here to Atlanta, they soaked totally sumerged for several days until they were packed for shipping. Again they were sealed in plastic bags to be shipped. Many of these plants were literally ripped from the ground (honestly we did try and gently dig) and have little root mass. They were tangled in the roots of over grown shrubs growing and in soil that had no moisture in it. These plants have not had the best treatment. I suspected they would react this way. Cut the shriveling pitchers back, place them in the shade for a week or two and keep them moist but not overly wet. They will recover.

How concerned should I be that my plants haven't arrived?

Capslock

could you guys post pics of the plants next season? Mine is putting off an 8" pitcher (yay!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Aug. 01 2004,2:01)]How concerned should I be that my plants haven't arrived?

Capslock
ditto.

tech...

I live in Georgia,and I still have'nt got mine.If they have been in the mail since the 27th of last month they are gonna be dead when they get here.Temps 95f-99f last week.
smile_h_32.gif

Jerry

What happened?? No post explaining what happened to the plants???
confused.gif

I'm assuming they were distributed to growers in the region. Does anyone know? Just curious.

How about some news on how the plants are doing in their new homes.

Glenn

The two plants that I received are hanging in there. However, they were in very poor condition. One can tell that they were almost dead when rescued. The smallest plant is trying to send up a new leaf and the largest is just sitting still. What remained of the original pitchers has remained green for the most part. I have cut off very little dead material.

crestview_rubras.jpg

So far no signs of any fungal disease or insect problems. The plants our out of quarantine for the photo.

My plants are doing OK so far. There is new growth on both, but it is sloooow. I may hit them with more superthrive. They have been in full sun and that seems to be helping the growth. Sorry about no pics, but just imagine Nick's plants above with teeny, tiny developing leaves. I'll probably bring these in under lights and push growth and hopefully roots for just this season.

I did get mine eventually. It was a mail snafu on my end, and they sat in a box for well over a week. However, they cling to life, and what was green is still green. I think these are pretty much going to be "next season" plants, but the important thing is that they survive till then.

Capslock

I hope everyone has gotten their plants by now. Yes, I imagine that many are suffering a bit but they are probably putting on root growth that you cannot see. You cannot support green top growth without roots. This time next year you will never know they had been traumatized. I know some of you have plants doing very well and that is because you probably got healthier plants. I tried to distribute them fairly. If you got one good plant you got one not so good, or you got two OK plants. Anyway, it sounds like they are all in good hands and doing well. Thanks for caring for these plants.

Back