What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

creepy worm

Empyrean

Destiny VS Cause And Effect
well i took mark.ca advice i transplant all my dionaea ( except those just germinated and 1 year old dionaea in the terrrarium ) to outdoor with direct sunlight, but still i killed 2 of them 1 red dragon and one typical, i think its a not the sunlight problem but its just the plant is not health,

i found out theres those creepy worm crawling inside the terrarium glass its very very tiny and it leaves a trail, now the 20 gallon fish tank looks aweful with those worm trail, i recently bought a bottle of orthenex in liquid form, mix with water and i spray in the terrarium theres no sigh of those worm within 2 days but after that the worm starting to crawl back on the glass, then i spray more and somehow they crawl back up again any idea how to get rip of them? EVER?

Maybe fungus gnat larvae? Do you see the adult gnats creeping around or flying around lights at night?

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/Images/FungusGnatLarvae.jpg

If they are fungus gnats you can spray all you want, they'll just keep coming back until you poison your media so nothing will grow in it.

Treat your pots with bacillus thuringiensis ssp israelensis (Bti) to get rid of the larvae and use sticky traps to control gnats. You can buy those yellow sticky strips, make your own or get a bunch of Drosera and Pinguicula.

You can also infest your pots with Utricularia bisquamata or U. subulata if you don't mind invasive Utricularia to control the larvae.

well i took mark.ca advice i transplant all my dionaea ( except those just germinated and 1 year old dionaea in the terrrarium ) to outdoor with direct sunlight, but still i killed 2 of them 1 red dragon and one typical, i think its a not the sunlight problem but its just the plant is not health,

i found out theres those creepy worm crawling inside the terrarium glass its very very tiny and it leaves a trail, now the 20 gallon fish tank looks aweful with those worm trail, i recently bought a bottle of orthenex in liquid form, mix with water and i spray in the terrarium theres no sigh of those worm within 2 days but after that the worm starting to crawl back on the glass, then i spray more and somehow they crawl back up again any idea how to get rip of them? EVER?

They could perhaps be a form of nematode (roundworm, threadworm, etc), especially from your description of how very tiny they were (nematodes are at their largest at about 5 cm); they are nearly ubiquitous in most soils and perhaps the use of a systemic pesticide is all that you can do to manage them . . .

(nematodes are at their largest at about 5 cm)
Perhaps you ment 5 mm. I think 5 cm is about 20" :0o:

Not to be mean or anything but 5 cm. is about 2 inches

Yeah, it is 1.96" and change and represents the largest of the nematodes. Most are tiny and some are microscopic . . .

Why use chemicals lol if you plants got worms wouldn't the easiest way of getting rid of them to be changing the soil mix lol why make growing vft more difficult than it already needs to be i'm so tired of people giving advice thats totally overreating to the situaion!:nono:

Even if you change the medium worms and fungus gnat larvae have a tendency to re-establish themselves. Especially fungus gnats since the adults have wings and don't live in the medium.

agreed... fungus gnats can be pesky and just a repot isnt enough all the time...

eitherway for immediate results a repot is necessary I think... if its a hardy plant with a strong root system you might even use water to make sure you clear all media away from the roots... pesky larvae are nooo fun

I actually have to repot one of my outside vft's Its thrown up 2 twisted stress traps in a row, so I know something is munching it...

Back