What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crate training tips?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Anyone got any crate training tips for me? My bf and I adopted a dog from the pound about 2 months ago. She has had quite a history so far and she's only 1. We have to take her everywhere with us because she freaks out when she's alone. That means when we go grocery shopping together, the doggy comes along and one of us has to stay in the car while the other shops... we take turns staying in the car
smile_n_32.gif
She obviously gets major anxiety when she thinks we're going to leave her...I don't blame her though with her past. We bought a nice crate for her, plenty of room and durable. When I leave her in there she SCREAMS at the top of her lungs. I set up my video cam and recorded it once while I was gone (I was gone 5 minutes) I didn't just throw her in there and leave, we've been training her slowly, using treats and making her see that the crate is a "happy" place but she doesn't seem to be getting better. We had to take the door off the crate cause everytime she went in she was terrified that I would close the door behind her. Now that the door is off she goes in by herself and lays down but only for 5 minutes at a time. She's just so scared that we will leave her and never come back...like her previous owners did
smile_h_32.gif
Just now I was gone for 5 minutes and I didn't put her in her crate (the door is still off) and I just closed her in our bedroom and I could hear her screaming outside and I was already 2  houses away
smile_h_32.gif
It's really sad. But sometimes my bf and I would like to go somewhere without her. I want to take this slow, but in 7 months I'm going back to Canada for 2 weeks and she has to behave herself while my bf is at work, so basically she has to be crate trained in 7 months. Any suggestions? I've worked a lot with dogs but she is just so scared
smile_h_32.gif

-Niki-

Ask the vet for some sedatives when it's really bad. We give our dog tranquilizers during thunder storms.

I have never had such a hard core case but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Suggestions I would add are:

Always put her in with a cherrished toy. A blanket does wonders too, something to hunkr down into. And if you do not mind the sacrifice, wear an old article of clothing (like a T-shirt) for a weekend and then leave that in the crate with her. Comfot items help and your scent helps as well.

At least once a day have her go in the crate and just sit next to it with her in there. Try to keep her in there as long as you can.

After a few weeks put the door back on. Put her in and close the door but again, sit right there where she can see and hear you. Start short and work your way up.

If she will, get her to sleep in the crate with the door closed. Let her out first thing in the morning and praise her.

After she gets used to that put here in the crate and close the door then leave for 10 minutes. When you come back, let her out and praise/reward her. Slowly increase the time you stay away.

You will have to deal with her screaming but she will get used to it and she will realize that you are coming back. My Dobie used to scream like a woman murdered but after a while she calmed down and realized that we always came back. Now we can leave for a week and just have the neighbors check he food and water and she acts like we were never gone.

Thanks for the advice guys
smile.gif
Pyro I'd done pretty much what you've suggested. I do have a blanky in there for her and also toys,treats and so on. I will try the t-shirt idea though! I do put her in there and then sit at the computer (right next to the crate) and she does great. I'll keep that up. I will have to put the door back though or else I can't put her in and sit at the computer cause she'll come out immedietly. Thanks again guys
smile.gif

That's tough when a dog has been traumatized. Very sad.

BUT...sometimes when you cater to a dog's fears...all you are doing is reinforcing it. If the dog howls and you run to comfort, you are communicating that there IS something to howl about. When I had my dog Jonah in obediance school, someone's huge lab went after him in class. I scooped Jonah up to hold him and was scolded by the trainer. She said I was confirming to Jonah that he was in a scarey situation. If you just ignore it and act like its no big deal, then the dog will learn its no big deal.

Also, when Ollie was a pup and first being crated...he didn't like being left alone. As long as I was in the room, he was fine. But if I left him, he made the loudest, deepest, most ungodly moaning howl you can imagine. You would think it was impossible for a PUPPY to sound like that. It broke my heart...and it was nervewracking, but I HAD to leave him alone and let him SEE that the sky wouldn't fall if he was left alone. It took a while but he finally adjusted and was fine in his crate.

I guess its a sort of "tough love"--you gotta get your dog to see that being alone ISN'T bad...that you will come back and all is fine. That will help her confidence far more than you babying her and responding to every whimper. Of course you feel sorry for her trauma, but you have to start treating her like a normal dog so she can BE a normal dog again. Being sensitive is GOOD...but don't carry it so far your dog can't build some confidence.

I agree with PAK, When I got my pup I allways wanted to lay down near the cage next to her cause she was sick, and She stoped howling after I got thei but when I would leave she howweld, then I just left her after 3 nights she stoped howling. Shes just getting past that learning sponge stage... (Unless its like 2-3 years I dont rember) I sudgest Really trying hard at ignoring her while shes in her cage alone... she will realize its ok.

I promise!

Got it! PAK that's great advice and you're totally right. I was also once scolded by a trainer when my puppy was attacked in class and I picked him up. She said "Just let him walk it off" and she was totally right! The more I hugged him the more he screamed, but when I let him down and walked around with him to get his mind off of it, he stopped and was playing again real soon. Really it's not me that runs to her when she whines, it's my bf! Everytime she whines while she's in her crate he goes, "Oh we have to let her out!" No we don't! This is his little girl but still it's bad cause then she'll learn that if she whines she'll be let out. I guess I gotta train my bf first THEN my dog
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Niki, the other thing to do is walk the heck out of her before you go anywhere, so she doesn't have pent-up energy. She will relax faster if she's tired. The key is she has to relax in the first few minutes. So keep up with leaving for short periods of time to get her used to it. Separation anxiety is a tough nut to crack sometimes, but everyone will be happier when you do. My greyhound was returned twice to the adoption agency for the same thing. I found he really, really hated the crate so I didn't use it. Eventually, he was fine with my leaving, but it took a lot of work. Now he's happy as a clam! Be patient, and determined!

Otis_in_Tahoe.sized.jpg

Capslock

Justlikeapill, you actually use tranquilizers?!?! That cant be healthy for the dog. Anyways, some tips are not to reward the dog with coming back everytime it screams. Just leave her and she will see that you wont be coming back for awhile. Then come back when she stops, give her a treat, and repeat the process starting with a time period of 5-7 mins to 30-35 mins. When they are down with the 30 mins or so then you can leave them for as long as acceptable.

I sure do. They are perscribed from the vet.

It's not like i'm slipping her Xanax
smile.gif

Maybe they are screams of joy.

People have given you some real good tips, but imagine if your question was that you had adopted an 18 year old kid who had survived a traumatic life. Tips about how others raised their children would be of no use. That's close to what you're trying to do with your dog.

Crate training is as easy falling off a log if you start with a young puppy and can devote the time that might be needed, but training an adult of any species is always much more difficult. Even without a traumatic life history.

Maybe she'll never be completely comfortable being alone, but the fact she'll go in the crate by herself even for only five minutes is a great start. If it's a wire crate, put a blanket over it so it's like a cave with only the opening at the entrance. If it's too big, get a smaller one. It seems strange to humans who like some space, but dogs seem to prefer crates be on the cozy side. And I'd put the crate where it has a good view of everyone's comings and goings and where people hang out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Sep. 14 2006,6:44)]Maybe they are screams of joy.
No maybe, you ARE an idiot

Thanks for all the other advice guys
smile.gif

You hurt my feelings.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Sep. 14 2006,9:47)]Awww ozzys just joshin ya....
I know
smile_m_32.gif

Sorryyyy 0zzyyyyy
smile_l_32.gif

Both my dogs have loved their crates. Its 3/4 covered so they have "cave part" and an "I can see" part. Ollies enjoys his crate and goes in happily when I say "crate". And sometimes he leaves ME to go get in his crate. *sniff* And being the morning sleepyhead he is, after I get up, he goes to the kitchen to his crate to catch a few more minutes of shuteye before he's put out for the day.

And yes, crate training a puppy is different than a traumatized adult. But I still feel there is a way to balance letting her see its ok to be alone AND being sensitive to her need to be reassured you not leaving. You can't live your life taking turns sitting with her in a car so she's not alone. In fact, I would only take her out places when you can just be with her and not need to leave her...at least until she is more adjusted.

Max...what a sweet dog!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Sep. 15 2006,7:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sorryyyy 0zzyyyyy  
smile_l_32.gif

No you're not

smile_h_32.gif
Oh come on now! Yes I am! But now I'm mad at you for another post you made in one of my threads
smile_m_32.gif

That's good advice PAK.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But now I'm mad at you for another post you made in one of my threads

Sorry, but there are so many you'll have to narrow it down a little. What could I have possiably done that would make you mad at me? I have never been nothing but nice to you. Even though your country tried to arrest for no good reason and then kicked me out of snowbirdland.

Back