What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cranberry bog

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
My wife was reading our local paper and found a somewhat upsetting article on Buckeye Lake and Cranberry Bog. It seems that on Tuesday a 30x40 foot piece of the island broke off and floated two miles away. Non of the rare plants where on chunk. For those that are able to visit the bog, it is still open for those who got picked in the lottery.

The really sad part is that the bog is expected to disintegrate over the next 30 years. So, we all need to get there in the next 5 years.

Wind and waves created by boats are are the major cause of the breakup. They say they cannot do anything about it.

Cranberry Island is a one of a kind bog. It's the only known floating bog island known in the world. It has D.rotundifolia and S.purpurea. It also has alot of rare non-carnivorous plants like grass-pink and rose pogonia orchids. It's a shame that such a unique island has to disappear. When it formed in 1830 it was 50 acres, in 1973 had been reduced to 20 acres, now it's only 11. It has a very interesting history. I have some links if you want to read about it.

Another Chunk Of Buckeye Lake Island Floats Off

Cranberry Island History

Cranberry Bog Preserve

Thats a shame, I hate to here about that kind of things. Nick, you've been there right? If its slowly going away...what will happend to all the plants? What would they do?
Kevin

well, it sounds like there was a conservationist effort taken towards the trees on the chunk that just broke off, let's hope that the same is true of everything else.

Lets get some scuba gear, bailing wire, and landscaping plastic and go to work on this sucker!
smile.gif
lol.. jk... a little joke about a somber topic.

They fight to save the old man of the mountain in that manner, why not a bog. I would rather save a living bog than a rock that is falling due to natural causes.

Wait a minute. There's boat traffic by the bog? That would surely be more of a threat with motor by-products such as gas and oil discharges than waves. The state should intervene in this and close the area period to boat traffic.

The reason that I think that the state is not trying to do more to save this bog is because it's doomed anyway. It's not like other bogs. It's just a huge floating mat of peat. Nothing can be done to save it. Things can be done to slow down the destruction but it'll breakup eventually anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving any bog that I can, but I think this would be a losing fight.

why cant they make like huge support structures for it. steel beams n stuff to hold up a huge platform for it to sit on. sure it wouldn't float anymore but it would still be there.

i agree with ya- they could find a way to like fence the floating mass of land in and it would be fine. some steel beams and thick stainless steel wiring fence type material.

Instead of a multimillion dollar steel beam project, you could just wrap the sides with something like jeffsz28 said, but then just put it on a platform that floats, instead of a platform that is being held up, then anchor it in place, just trying to brainstorm, because that's how most boat docks are made nowadays...!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back