What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple Pics

Nitecrawler

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior
I have been growing a small number of cps for almost a year now...and I'm getting my first flower, so here are some pics!

D. capensis flower spike:
P3120200.JPG

99 cent store vft:
P3120199.JPG

Two hungry N. ventricosa pitchers:
P1230006.JPG

your 99cent vft looks healthier than mine... i coudnt find the time to repot all of em.
only 5 is in my very mini bog right now. 5 more is in its packaging terrarium

nice starter plants,they look healty too.

do you grow em in or outdoor? full sun? or what? i'm in los angeles too, i just want other member's choice.

I'm at UCLA, so pretty much the only place I have to grow is on my window sill. I have been supplementing the weak light i get from the sun with 2 compact fluorescents that are just plugged into desk lamps. It's pretty jerry-rigged. They get a rather large photoperiod of 16 hours, should I shorten it at all?

Some days I look over at the smog-obscured city and want to vomit.

Yet, pollution or not, I love LA.

Congrats on the Capensis flower! I haven't seen any on mine yet but my d. adalae are blooming like crazy!

It looked as if my flower spike was going to be very short because it was only a little taller than the leaves about when it looked like it was going to flower, but in the past couple of days, it has shot up a couple inches!

I'm definitely excited to see it flower.
It is going to flower right above about three other pots, are capensis seedlings going to take over?

I unfortunately severed the stalk of capensis but I got seed that I threw into a pot.

yes cape seed will take over,haha in each flower there will be about 100-150 seeds maybe more and thre are like 10-20 flowers on eahc stlak and its self pollinates.

Haha, should I make any preparations so that the seed doesn't contaminate my other pots? What do you guys usually do when your capensis flower?

Collect all the seeds, and give them to random friends :p
Or grow them, and make a mini nursery business selling them, and getting more people into CP's *cackles*

My capensis is sending up a flower scape at the moment too. :)

At first I was excited about Capensis flowers... Now I can't stand them. They will infect all nearby pots if you give them a chance. I would start cutting them after you've gotten a few.

Collect all the seeds, and give them to random friends :p
Or grow them, and make a mini nursery business selling them, and getting more people into CP's *cackles*

My capensis is sending up a flower scape at the moment too. :)

This can be a good idea if youve got a market for it. We have a gnat problem in my office and after seeing how well my capensis has been doing and how many gnats it catches, I have several people now that say they need to have sundews at their desks as well. If/when mine flowers, everybody in my office will have their own plant lol.

There you go :) Then the world will spread, and all the nearby offices will want them too!
:-O

Back