What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple Hummers Giants.

• Thread starter JMatt
  • Start date

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
Many of my plants were slacking for some time, but they are doing much better this Spring.
Pitchers are still forming and have not really colored up yet. The pitchers can and have been bigger, I'm just glad they are healthy again!
The last two pictures show the tell tale wide center rib Hummers have when they are happy. Hope you like.
I will try and get more pictures up soon.
JMatt

d598.jpg

ez93.jpg

oe66.jpg

mrss.jpg

59vm.jpg

wowzers.. they're beasts!!

Are you growing them indoors or out?

Nice plants! I'm uber jealous

These are the plants from the necps meeting right? I love them.

Thanks,
There not quite beasts yet, but they are coming along.
They grow in the basement under T-5's
There not in a tank or anything so I don't think the humidity is very high. I have a fan blowing on them so they get great air circulation.
They are all in a tray that I flood to about a half inch. After about a week it's all dry and I let them sit a few more days then fill again.
There not always sitting in water though. I have had good success growing them outside, but better success growing inside.
They were all trying to flower but I snipped all the spikes. Cuttings are doing good too. It's nice and cool in the basement.
Jeff

BioZest,
Yes the larger one I brought to the meeting.
I'm hoping they look even better for the fall show!
Jeff

This is a Hummers Giant I grew outside a few years ago.
Springtime with the cool nights and bright sun really turned it blood red.
I brought it back in when the summer heat really started to set in.
You have to adjust them to the bright sun slowly. You can burn them like most anything else.
Just wanted to show you all how red I got that Hummers giant.
Jeff

dsc01838le9.jpg

I said this in our PM, but I'll say it again here because I can actually see it in these pics..
I've heard that with intense light, the pitchers don't grow as large but do show their max potential with coloration.
I see in these pics, the same plant has (IMO) massive green pitchers. But when completely colored up they're nowhere near the same size.
Could just be the pics, or my eyes playing dimensional tricks on me.. However, if that's true I think this plant has shown a prime example of both. Great color, and great size.
If I've been misinformed, does anyone have a massive pitcher pic that is showing full potential in coloration?

i seemed to get the best (darkest)colour on my ceph in the winter,so i too think cool temps may play a role in colouration because the photoperiod was very short if it was only down to the sun

Nice HG. :) I have one in a ten gallon tank but its not that large yet. It had nearly inch and a half pitchers when I got it but shock has taken those out. Atm, the typical is producing larger pitchers at about one inch In size. Only the ribs darken up so I think I found a good balance of lighting now.

i seemed to get the best (darkest)colour on my ceph in the winter,so i too think cool temps may play a role in colouration because the photoperiod was very short if it was only down to the sun

I'm forced to disagree with that theory. My cephs get about 15 hours of light and no real temperature drop. And are colorful as can be..

well you could be correct mass i dunno,i should keep one under lights next winter and compare it to the ones on the cool window sill with natural photoperiod i suppose and see what happens,this is the plant that i was talking about in winter on a cool window sill

gorgeous coloration. I love the green on purple contrast..

Here's my German Giant (2 months ago), that get's 15 hours of intense light and no temperature drop. Not nearly as colorful as yours, but getting there.

nice mass,i am on the look out for giant cephs at the moment,the cephs i grow are all genetically the same as all are from divisions and leaf pullings off the same mother plant,this should make for good experiment material,and i should have a few small plants to experiment on by next winter(sorry jeff for hijacking your thread)i do not own that ceph anymore as i gave it my brother ,damn my kindness

No problem corky.
Don't mind at all. I like seeing other peoples plants.
Everyone has there own methods that work for them.
Mass and your cephs look great!
Mine will color up in time. There going threw a growth spurt right now.
I'm glad now that I didn't let them flower. More material for cuttings.
Jeff

A ceph discussion has been long over due here IMO. Jeff, you made my day..
After seeing the size of your plants, and the color of corky's.. I think I'm going to move my ceph rack into the GH so they can experience a nightly temperature drop. Light exposure and day/night hours will stay exactly the same. Daytime temps will be close to the 80*F mark, with night temps in the low 60*s. Humidity may increase a smidge..
I'm a little nervous because they're doing so well, but I honestly don't think a little change in night temps will cause a complete backslide in their overall health.

Amazing plants. I haven't seen a hg with that much coloration. Very impressive sir! I would love to grow outside. How do you make the transition from basement to outdoors

Back