What's new

Copepods!

I've been trying to keep these little guys alive for some time now maybe 2 weeks.

Things seem to be doing very very well.

97d4d00695447bac59f71966e4259d89.jpg

A C6 momma copepod big enough to see. She's about 0.7mm big, is swimming above the marimo ball.

e4f464b9e785e6a6def530a9a7f907f6.jpg

In the middle is a copepod C1-C4 it has grown it's 4th segment and tail.

Adult copepods have 6 stages of life denoted by c1 through c6. The juvenile copepods are denoted by n1-n6. They have 12+1 stages of life. 12 metamorphosi and their breeding phase. In the microscopic picture the large c1-c4 copepod is about 0.2 mm large. There are smaller round n1-n6 copepods on the lower have of the picture.

Copepods!!: Copepods!! - YouTube

These two are fighting over a piece of phytoplankton aha

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
I love copepods! :D
Such interesting little life forms.will be watching

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
Very cool! I used to have a large culture of copepods going in most of my Aldrovanda cultures, but eventually they completely disappear. Whatever species I have seem to require a dry diapause period.

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Very cool! I used to have a large culture of copepods going in most of my Aldrovanda cultures, but eventually they completely disappear. Whatever species I have seem to require a dry diapause period.

Anytime you're working with cultures of crustaceans, you need to continuously start new cultures as older ones inevitably crash.

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
Anytime you're working with cultures of crustaceans, you need to continuously start new cultures as older ones inevitably crash.

Yeah, I used to keep several buckets outdoors that I'd periodically flood and dry to keep ostracods and copepods, but I've abandoned them in favor of more low maintenance long-term residents like Neocaridina shrimp.

My copepods lasted all year in a bucket outside, so I figure if I keep expanding the culture whilst feeding them to my plants and shrimps the colony should be indefinite. I find they are about as much hassle as my shrimps are which is next to none.

Last edited:
Whenever I have copepods they come from the pond, and there is usually a lot of pondwater and decaying plant material with them as well. I've never tried keeping them long term though.