What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Containing kalanchoe tubiflora

• Thread starter Turtlekit
  • Start date
Recently we have acquired a kalanchoe tubiflora, my mom bought it because she really likes them. However, this plant is an invasive species + noxious weed in our area and I really want to prevent it from spreading, either to my other potted plants or the ground. I cannot get rid of the plant because it is not mine, but I have been left in charge of caring for it. How should I go about preventing this plant from spreading? Is there a way to prevent it from flowering and/or producing plantlets, and if there isn't, how should I prevent the plantlets from blowing away and taking root? For the flowers I am assuming I'd just cut them off before they go to seed. The plant is currently potted on the porch, somewhat away from most of the other succulents and the sarracenia, but I am still concerned it could spread.

If you keep it, you will have others, lots of them. Pull them up when you see them where you don't want them, or leave the pots out in winter, most will die. I get them wether I want them or not.

If you keep it, you will have others, lots of them. Pull them up when you see them where you don't want them, or leave the pots out in winter, most will die. I get them wether I want them or not.

I wish I didn't have to keep this plant but unfortunately I don't have a choice :-( We do not have much of a winter here either, it doesn't usually get cold enough to kill the little suckers. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it if there's no way to stop it from putting out plantlets, thanks for the info!

Plantlet production is unstoppable and plantlets will try to take root wherever they land. Hence its noxious weed status. If you were to grow it indoors as a houseplant, you would be able to keep it in check. Uprooted seedlings/plantlets or cuttings should not be tossed in a compost pile without first making sure they are dead.

Plantlet production is unstoppable and plantlets will try to take root wherever they land. Hence its noxious weed status. If you were to grow it indoors as a houseplant, you would be able to keep it in check. Uprooted seedlings/plantlets or cuttings should not be tossed in a compost pile without first making sure they are dead.

Maybe I can convince my mom to let me move it indoors, if not then I'll stick it on the corner of the porch closest to the house. I do go out and look at my plants daily, is it possible to pinch off the plantlets and dispose of them before they fall on their own?

Back