What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confession by way of a few macro shots

Hi everyone,

bad news: I've gone astray and flirted with the neighbors' wives. Apart from Nepenthes, I now have a whole stable of sundews as well as two cephalotus. Why? Last week I came home with my newly purchased 105 mm macro lens, all gung-ho to take some real close close-ups of my D. binatas (some of the sideshow plants I keep outside the Nepenthes shadehouse). To my great horror I found that a full week of daily 34 C and no rain had killed them all to the last man. Infuriated at having no pretty dew drops to practice my macro skills on, I made a few calls in the CP community, and three days later I was proud owner of 30 different droseras which now populate the tanks that in colder days serve for wintering my lowland neps. Also, I guess having sold off two-thirds of my 300 neps (I'm moving to Borneo in a while and can't take them with me) has taken a greater toll on my soul than I had anticipated.....if I can't have hundreds of neps around me, I need to substitute with something else - even if the substitute is a genus that for years I've been ridiculing as "eye cancer catalysts" onnacounta their insidious tininess.

The cephalotus was a gift. And believe me - the cuteness factor is so strong with this genus, I'm fixing to get me a whole acre of it! (OK, a whole windowsill first)..

So here are some photos. Most of the droseras are still babies (under a centimeter across), but pretty nevertheless.

D. dielsiana
Droseradielsiana080626.jpg

C. follicularis
Cephalotusfollicularis080626_1.jpg

D. burmannii
Droseraburmannii080626.jpg

C. follicularis
Cephalotusfollicularis080626_2crop.jpg

D. paradoxa
Droseraparadoxa080620_3.jpg

Droseraparadoxa080620_1.jpg

(For the gear queers out there: Pentax K10D, Sigma 105 mm macro, an entire stack of extension tubes with a total of 64 mm, and a cheapa$$ tripod that's causing me endless grief...)

Hilarious! I can feel the disdain you had by reading your vivid descriptions. That first photo (as they all are) is fantastic. I guess it's true what they say: one man's "sideshow" is another man's treasure!

Thanks for sharing your transition to the darkside.

xvart.

Thanks for you kind words. They're nice enough pix, I guess...I only wish they were sharp! (dang that &^%$! tripod!)

transition to the darkside.

Dark side indeed....after four hours of being glued to the viewfinder, wrestling with depth-of-field values below two millimeters (and no macro rail!), I feel terminal myopia coming my way like a rocket-powered steamroller...

Hans - Now all you need is a nice fat bug dead center on that paradoxa leaf!

xvart.

Fat chance - there's no dew on the leaf :) (tjhe plant's still reeling from relocation shock)

just add
superglue,...... jk.

Deja vu! No Neps this time!

Back