What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming out of refrigerator dormancy

Hi all,

I've got a few bags of sundews, sarricenia, and pings that are about ready to come out of the fridge. I put them in bare root, and seemed to have not had any fungal problems. Any advice on bring them out? Do I need to acclimate them gradually to outside temperature or full sun? They will live in an in-ground bog this year. I'm in south Florida.

Here in colorado, I just take them, repot, then throw them outside.
They never seem to have any problems doing this and they wake up just fine.

Florida would be even more ideal because you dont have to worry about sudden freezes at night

They're dormant, so they're protected against any hard shocks growing plants might experience in shifting from cold to warm. They grow out new roots with the new year anyway (Sarracenia notwithstanding since they mostly build on existing roots, but they'll still be fine) and everything converts to new growth as the old stuff dies. Concern is more in putting things into dormancy, when sometimes telling if they're ready is a fuzzy area (all my temperate dews tend to have fully operational leaves when I put them way, otherwise they attempt to start growing again).

I'm no expert on these, so, please, take this with a grain of salt. If you're worried you could put them in the shade and steadily move them to the sun and then plant them, But it might shock them if their already out of dormancy. I know that's the case with vft's. However I am no expert.

Back