What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee grounds?

Hey everyone
Random question; can you add small amounts of coffee grounds to your CP soil? I usually add it to my garden but thought it could be beneficial for a Nepenthes as well.

Thanks
Jeff

I haven't tried it but I probably would not recommend it. If your nepenthes do not like all the extra nutrients that the coffee grounds are putting into your media you can't just flush it out like if you had just used a fertilizer.

Coffee grounds are great in compost because they break down to create a loamy soil. But that is pretty much the opposite of what we’re trying to create for our CPs. So, pile them into the compost, put them around your houseplants, but kept them out of the CP. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few of the members of the LACPS put coffee grounds in their Nepenthes pots to a noticable added benefit. Start out with very tiny amount and monitor how long it takes to break down. If you are not using the tray method (left in standing water), excess nutrients will get flushed out.

I've tried it myself with no harm to my plants but since I'm not a regular coffee drinker I don't have a constant source of grounds to bother with it.

Back