What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CLONING!

hi! i was wondering if you can clone venus fly traps...for exmaple taking a cutting dipping it into rooting harmone then into a rockwool slab etc...

Yep - you need to pull out a mature, healthy leaf complete with as much white as possible from the bottom. Then you place it on sphagnum peat moss and lightly cover it I think and keep it humid.

And to add to Alvin's tip, you can also clone by simple division, if you notice your VFT is sending new growth from different centres (crowns) then in the early Spring, lift the plant out of its pot, break up the crowns and prsto! 3, 4, 5 or more plants of exactly the same clone

And to add to Alvin's tip, you can also clone by simple division, if you notice your VFT is sending new growth from different centres (crowns) then in the early Spring, lift the plant out of its pot, break up the crowns and presto! 3, 4, 5 or more plants of exactly the same clone

alright i understand how to do the basic cutting etc...but i want to speed up the cloning process by using a rooting hormone etc...like i would take a leaf including its whitish part...then dip into a rooting hormone then into another rooting powder then place into jiffy pucks or rockwoll blocks...under a grow light??? would that work??

can someone please answer my question!?!?! look above!

Hi Brandon,
The most unfussy way is to take Alvin's suggestion for leaf cuttings, but you can also take the old leaf bases too to increase the qtys of cuttings.

The best would be to buy a heated propagator to increase the speed of the strike

I think I read somewhere that you can dip it in rooting hormone, but I think gibberic acid is most suitable for VFTs. I'm not 100% sure though. Anyone?

hi...i have 2 flouescent tubes-Agro-lite. 15watt..made from phillips...they are however small around 1 ft long and about 1 inche wide? are these good enough for growing vft's?

Back