What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

classic terrarium?

well i am starting a classic terrarium in a 5 gallon tank. i was just wondering what other non-carnivorous plants would look good in there, or moss. will take pictures soon.
wish me luck

oh and any other tips for classic terrariums would be great. and what are some good cp's that would like this classic tank.?
thanks alot

Nice choice of size for your tank. I have a 5 gallon classic terrarium (actually I think it's 5.5 gallon, but who cares
smile_n_32.gif
) and it has been growing great for me for about 6 months now. I use two compact flourescent bulbs to light the tank, one 23 watt warm white light and one 30 watt daylight. The plants in the tank include: D. scorpiodes, D. aliciae, D. adelae, D. capensis, U. livida, and P. lusitanica. All do very well in there. Here's a not-so-recent picture:

FullTank.jpg

hey peanuts1gang just curious how did your terrarium turn out? i'd really like to see
smile.gif

me too

sorry for not posting back in a while.
here is the beginning of the terrarium
IMG_1047.jpg

and here is the terr. now
IMG_1113.jpg

i am re arranging the adelae to more of a clump, and putting a aliciae in there soon. there also is a small scorpioides in there, but i am going to see how that looks.
enjoy

Nice flowering adelae.

Looks like the waterline is high--this may be acceptable to the capensis and adelae, but I'd beware of putting scorpoides (or other pygmy dews) into the terrarium as such. They can be quickly overrun by algae, moss, and fungi which have a tendency to grow over most surfaces. I've found they also enjoy drier (i.e., constantly moist but not waterlogged medium) conditions, and also prefer to be in sandier mixes. Just a few personal observations.....feel free to take them or leave them!
smile.gif

Is the terrarium covered and, if so, do you have a source of air circulation (such as a CPU fan)? This is important for preventing major fungal infestations.

Back