What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cicada nymph pics

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Saw this guy walking around outside and I figured he'd molt tonight, so I put him in a jar. I've never seen one before it's molted. I'll post pics if it molts and doesn't die before then, and then I'll let him go. We must have more than one species in Georgia because this thing is HUGE compared to the normal exoskeletons you normally find on trees the day after they molt and fly off. Unless they shrink or something?

By the way, I put him on his back to take pics. He's not keeled over quite yet hehe.
I put him in a half gallon jar with moist LFS in the bottom and a stick. I covered it with like, cheesecloth stuff and a rubberband.

DSC02378.jpg

DSC02379.jpg

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

I don't know if it's a periodical Cicada. I don't know if we get those this far south, but if it was that would be a treat it only happens like 17 years.

Apparently he knows he's fat because he's on top of my moms atkins book. I hope he knows that road leads to cholesterol city and heart attack boulevard :(

It's 10:41 now and we just discovered it had molted. I wish I hadn't missed it but oh well.

DSC02386.jpg

DSC02388.jpg

DSC02391.jpg

DSC02392.jpg

I'll take pics tomorrow when he changes color then let him go.

That’s awesome. I don’t know about cicadas, but when my mantids molt they get 2-3 longer and bigger than they were in their previous instar, so it may be possible that the exoskeletons that you have found are of the same species.

Thanks for posting the pictures! :)

DSC02399.jpg

DSC02400.jpg

I grew up in Oklahoma, and we used to put those things in jars with little rubber snakes. The vibrations of the Cicada would cause the little rubber snakes to come to life.

Back