What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherimoya Season

• Thread starter Slurm
  • Start date
Cherimoya fruit has just came in to the farmers market where I live. Usually, It's only available for about 1 month of the year. Does anyone else here eat cherimoya fruit?

yes, i make it into a juice.

I like to eat them frozen. They taste like ice cream that way

Never heard of them. What do they look/taste like?

Mmmm.... Custard Apple. Love it, always have and always will...

I just bought one today ($5) and tried it for the first time. I think I'll take the above suggestion and try the rest as a frozen dessert. The flavor reminds me of mango/vanilla pudding a little bit. It looks like an apple with fish dark fish scales in a cool pattern.

They are white inside have pretty decent size seeds. I'm going to try to grow a few trees from the seeds.

I've heard that the seeds have a very high 80+% germination rate, last summer I planted some outside in a pot of topsoil but none germinated, maybe the variety I got produced seed, but was sterile. Also, the cherimoya tree likes a mediterranean climate. They are grown commercially on the coast of southern California. They problably didn't germinate because of the hot night temps in the summer where I live.

The consistency sounds like a Durian...from what I've been told.

I want to try one!

Never ate one, but I've got a few seedlings outside!
biggrin.gif

Anyone here tried Cherimoya?

Peter

Back