What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap USB LED grow lights

• Thread starter Deleted member 13798
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13798

Hello, just wanted some feedback on this - I recently bought two 5V 5W DC USB LED lights. I used 1 of them for about a month or two and my Nepenthes started to grow again, only this time the leaves are a fair bit smaller. They had stopped growing as previously had no special conditions for them, and it was winter here in the southern hemisphere.

I then decided to use the second light.
It was a little experiment I thought I'd do while I wait for some good lights.
They have been sitting above the plants at about 18"/48cm

Here's a photo:
DSC_1098.JPG

Anyone know whether this works or provides the correct amount of light/light intensity ?

Specifications:
"Type: USB LED Grow Light Material: Aluminum, plastic Quantity: 1pc Item Color: Silver + white Light Source: LED LED Quantity: 14 (Red: 10; Blue: 4) ,27 (Red: 18; Blue: 9) LED Color: Red, Blue LED Wavelength: Red: 620-750nm Blue: 420-500nm Power: 3W ,5W Input Voltage: DC 5V Beam Angle: 120 degrees Lifespan: Up to 50,000 Hours Certification: CE, RoHS" - thank you

Those are so weak that I'm not sure I'd bother. The restart in growth you saw was probably due more to winter beginning to end than anything those lights contributed. For a sense of scale, the lowest power lights I know of other people using draw 36 watts. Those usb sticks probably need to be almost touching the plant to have any effect.

Oh geez ! well, I learned my lesson. Thank you. I've seen some in-depth guides but cannot find them - would just wanna know a bit more about the Lux/Kelvins/Lumens, how far away from neps etc... Would you happen to know of any or know about all that ?

Lux is just a measurement of lumens against distance. I use 12000 lumen lights about 1 foot away from my plants. However, these days, many growlights will give you a PAR value. 'm not sure kelvin matters much at all. Just go with something roughly in the middle.

Brilliant thanks

Back