What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap supply of nursery products?

Where is a cheap supply of nursery products, such as germination trays?

I have been using a place called Charley's Greenhouse, but it tends to be on the expensive side, and I bet I can do better...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Feb. 22 2005,4:11)]online or local?
Either, with a preference for online.

Local is nice if I need something in a hurry, but online tends to be cheaper, and usually, I can wait for my order to arrive.

Catusbum on Colorado Cp society has tons of pots. I also have some extras

do what i do and get in good with a local mom and pop greenhouse. granted i worked for the guy for 5 springs(i havent worked for him for 3 years now) but most anything i need that he gets in bulk i just help myself to what i need which usually dont amount to much on his end and 99% of the time he just waves me through when i try to pay for it. they will even have some of it on hand in the winter when they arent growing out bedding plants and veggies. a good way to save room while growing out small Drosera, Sarrs, other seedlings and Utric starter plugs is to use "4-packs" like the nurseries sell bedding plants in. i must go through 10 or 12 flats(12 4-packs to a flat) a year. they are generally cheap if yah have to by them too. i generally get to help myself to his bulk 3.5 inch pots too. anything bigger, if im willing to wash out previously used pots i can take them for nothing.

I take it you do not reuse pots? I wish I did not have to but well I am an enviromentalist. I use the pots till they disinagrate

me? yes but when you start out with a few species and and species fairly quickly and regularly pots become scarce even with reusing. the 4-packs are made out of a plastic that starts desintigrating pretty bad after 18 months of UV exposure. they get pretty brittle. the 3.5 inch pots i use are made of much better stuff and get reused. plus i think its quicker to bloom most Utrics if yah start the plugs out in something small. thet them get crowded in that then move them up to the 3.5 inch pot they will live in for as long as im going to keep them. so i reuse pots where i can but i cant always reuse the 4-packs i like using, plus you generally rip them apart for species like sundews to disturb the roots as lil as possible.

Aw the roots. I do not mind about disturbing them. Since I used to top water everything (now I have trays) The mix would settle and just pop out in a couple of weeks if it needed repoting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Feb. 22 2005,6:48)]I take it you do not reuse pots?  I wish I did not have to but well I am an enviromentalist.  I use the pots till they disinagrate
Yes, I reuse pots, but I'm running low, and my goal is to propagate quite a bit for trade or sale, to lower the total effective cost of my hobby.

I have a number of hobbies, and it's nice to be able to recoup some of my investment on some. Helps me justify spending more.

Back