What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheap n Easy 5 gallon auto watering system- PICS N VID!

Hey everyone! Once again here's a play off of GrowinOld's watering system. I found these hydro halos at the local hydro store and though I would give them a try for one of my bigger neps that wont fit in my rainforest.

Here's the supplies you will need
1x 5 gallon bucket WITH Lid (sold separately, about 5-8 bucks total
20130110_184501.jpg

1x 130-160 GPH submersible pump
1x Hydro Halo watering ring, 1/2" connector
1x 8" Net pot
1/2" ID tubing, I bought 4' just in case
20130110_184542.jpg

The Hydro Halo
20130110_184553.jpg

Optional equipment
Timer
Air Pump/Air stones
Cutting instrument (I used my dremel tool)

Here's my N. Raven, being big and beautiful (except the lack of pitchers, but I blame that on winter time.
20130105_124052.jpg

Start by measuring the diameter of the net pot UNDER the lip, trace this out onto the lid and cut using the dremel tool. You want the pot to set into the lid and not fall through, I have mine sitting a little above the lid.
20130110_184458.jpg

Next I cut a hole into the side of the bucket to run my 1/2" tubing out of the bucket from the pump to the ring. I had to modify this hole after the picture was taken to fit the plug for the electric pump out of this same hole.
20130110_184506.jpg

That's it for the cutting!

Next I installed my pump and ran the plug out of the hole I cut earlier
20130110_185334.jpg

Next run the 1/2" tubing through the hole and connect to the pump. Then fill the bucket (reservoir) with RO water.
20130110_185407.jpg

I then hooked up the halo and tested to see how much water was coming out of it. It looks like it has a lot of force but it really isnt that strong
20130110_193129.jpg

Place the ring around the base of the plant, you can use the optional spike stands that came with it, I chose not to so I dont fling water all over the place.
20130110_185342.jpg

Install the plant! :)
20130110_184815-1.jpg

Hook the hose up to the Halo and secure it with a zip tie or hose clamp, then fire it up and try it out!

Here's the new system in action, very subtle, but hey! It works!

Last edited:
Cool. I use a system like this for my Darlingtonia, minus the halo. That would be perfect, I will have to try and find one.

full collapse that is what i use for my darlingtonia

Very slick. :)

Awesome! Aren't you worried about the run-off from the pot eventually clogging up the pump? That's normally my only problem with these systems.

Looks good!

I was looking at a hydroponic setup like this at our local nursery, and use it for my Sarracenias outdoors.

IMO, that seems like a lot of water for a Nep thou.

@Sundrew, as long as you change out the water every so often and check the pump impeller, it isnt an issue.
@MurphysLaw all my other neps get a ton of water and they're throwing up the biggest pitchers I've ever seen out of my plants!

Back