What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephs in CO

After a grand failure 4 years ago...time to start again. This time, via seeds
Cephalotus seedling by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Though there's only one measly speck in the picture, since then I've managed to get 2 to germinate and the first is just putting up a pitcher!

Was it hard to get the seeds to germinate? I love Cephs, but struggle with humidity requirements since I live in a desert.

After a grand failure 4 years ago...time to start again. This time, via seeds

If you don't mind explaining/linking-to what happened 4 years ago? I've only been. Keeping Cephalotus for 1 year and I've heard that they hate life. So naturally I am nervous with the upcoming repotting. 😬

There's this thing called sudden collapse syndrome with Cephalotus, particularly a few months after a repot. That's all I have. Reasons why I could not say.
And no, seeds are not hard to germinate, they're just seasonally primed; they will tend to only sprout come winter or spring.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Interesting to see that the seedlings go straight for pitchers. Looks like you adjusted your media. What's the mix you are using now?

At least two so far have made photosynthetic leaves first as demonstrated by one photo, there's no rule for what leaves are made first. And the media I mix for all my plants is peat, perlite, and blasting abrasive, just in varying quantities judged by eye depending on what their habitat is like; Cephalotus live in well-drained sandy places generally.

I've never tried growing them from seeds. Those look great!

Those are nice photos.

Nice for an iPod, at least...

Love the "baby teeth". Are these seedlings of the C. Follicularis typical? - or a cross?

There are no crosses in a genus with only one species, just as in Dionaea. Any and all seeds are typical plants unless they display their own unique traits.

Very nice, they're looking great! Good Job. :)

HC, I just noticed your response. Even as I knew this about Cephalotus Follicularis, it had never occurred to me to ask the deeper question. Can you help us laypersons understand cultivars in a plant with only one species? 🤔

A cultivar definition does not change whether a genus has one species or many; it's a registered name for a cultivated variety that someone has deemed worthy of recognition. It is appearance-based almost exclusively (sometimes with particulars about parentage where certain clones or species are concerned just to help maintain unique recognition), not tied to genetics or hybridization etc.

Im sorry to hear about your loss.. but amazing seed grown cephs they look amazing. I also heard that the sudden collapse syndrome is usually after repotting and that it could be due to them getting their roots touched? I just started growing cephs myself i got a brand new one yesterday actually that im terrified about.

Back