What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephs in CO

Thanks for the growth journey w your Cephs. Great pics. Keep them coming.

I now have one:
Cephalotus SG A by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And two:
Cephalotus SG B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Plants producing adult pitchers out of my 4 surviving seedlings. A third I think is about to transition as well, and the 4th may soon follow, Need to give them their own pots somehow (hardly have the room is the trouble), especially since there's actually 2 separate plants of one of the clones...
Cephalotus SG B by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Cephalotus by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Awesome! I can see one side is getting favored by the light

I bet that’s why you see those big clumps of cephalotus whenever you see any pictures of them. Wouldn’t they need a repot at some point though? How would you attempt it without killing your plant?

Last edited:
Size or location of the pitchers is not in line with where the light is coming from currently. And they can be repotted like any other: carefully.

I wonder wonder why that particular area has dark pitchers then.

Great looking plants! Can I ask what media mix you are utilizing? Mine seem to be happy-ish, but always trying to improve!

In my plants I've found that increased humidity helps after repotting. For what it's worth.
If I had a means to reliably do so in the setup I might have, but at this point it's too late for that (don't want to bag because invariably either some sort of Botrytis shows up in those conditions and Cephs are too sensitive for that, or they'll complain when I try re-acclimating them again). The new leaves are remaining stable though, and putting water in the pitchers has actually helped (only time I'm ever recommending doing that).
Great looking plants! Can I ask what media mix you are utilizing? Mine seem to be happy-ish, but always trying to improve!
Roughly 2:1:1 perlite/peat/sand mix. More or less the same thing the tuberous sundews and other sandy-loving plants go in. However what works for me is not necessarily what someone else should use; some people have success with sphagnum, but the same would kill them for me.

Nice looking ceph. I really like that it is all green.

Color can be dependent on clone, but more so on light levels. There are 2 clones here, in a relatively short pot amongst pots meant for tuberous sundews, and will be getting repotted eventually to something taller; they have the capacity to turn darker, and have done so on the lids before.
So is it a lack of light or extra light? I keep mine under filtered light and it is dark red/purple. Also, did the leaf pulling's strike?

You're quoting a very old post concerning plants that no longer exist, there's nothing that remains of them in my collection. And darker color is always from more light (specifically photosynthetically active wavelengths), you don't get purple plants in conditions that don't permit full photosynthetic capacity and anthocyanin production.

Back