What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph tank build

• Thread starter craigam
  • Start date
Hello all,

I recently made a cephalotus tank (inspired by the infamous MEOWorksCreative, of course). This has been something I've been wanting to do since I first saw their photos. I have build progress photos here for you to take a look at. I put my first cephs in the tank on May 4, 2021 - the last picture is from today, May 18, 2021

Image.jpegI started off with a LECA layer, and I put a drainage pipe as well (the pipe has slits at the bottom) - this is so I can flush the tank of mineral buildup etc. every few months.
Image (1).jpeg

Image (2).jpeg

Image (3).jpegStarting to add the soil, packing it down and building the foundation / landscape
Image (4).jpegI initially (spontaneously) wanted to add a water feature, but because how I build the tank, it is not feasible, so I have removed it as of two days ago
20210518_101756.jpg

Other than cephs, I have now added the following plants:
D. prolifera
D. adelae (giant form will be added soon as well)
D. lanata
D. hamiltonii
U. chrysantha
U. lateriflora
U. sandersonii (may remove)
S. debile

It's only been 2 weeks, my cephalotus have recovered very quickly within this timeframe. One is starting to flower, I will keep it and see how it goes - it's my first cephalotus flower!

You'll find some of those sundews will probably not be happy growing with each other, or in the environments that Cephalotus will want; prolifera and adelae like it a bit less sunny than Cephs might, and won't appreciate it getting too hot in summer or cold in winter (since Cephalotus likes seasons but they don't really experience them), and the Petiolaris complex likes it hot all the time, never cold. D. hamiltonii and U. sandersonii/lateriflora will probably be the most suited alongside Cephalotus on that list, perhaps Stylidium.

You'll find some of those sundews will probably not be happy growing with each other, or in the environments that Cephalotus will want; prolifera and adelae like it a bit less sunny than Cephs might, and won't appreciate it getting too hot in summer or cold in winter (since Cephalotus likes seasons but they don't really experience them), and the Petiolaris complex likes it hot all the time, never cold. D. hamiltonii and U. sandersonii/lateriflora will probably be the most suited alongside Cephalotus on that list, perhaps Stylidium.
I appreciate your input, this will be a consistent work in progress for sure :)

Would you perhaps have any input on drosera (or others, maybe even non-CP) that would work best? As you can see, I've currently been going with an Aussie theme (barring the sandersonii of course), but I'm really not going to be a stickler on that. Just using what I have, currently.

I have too many D. aff. lanata - so I decided to throw one in there, at least for the summer.

Anything that thrives in a Mediterranean climate in primarily moist soils will do best; pygmy Drosera, South African species, the binata complex might tolerate it (though might also take over the tank), etc.

Hi everyone, here's some 2 month progress of a few plants:

Screenshot_20210726-133548_Photos.jpg

Attachments

• 20210726_131614.jpg
    20210726_131614.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20210726-132124_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210726-132124_Photos.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210726_131604.jpg
    20210726_131604.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 13
4 month progress. Need to start using maxsea on the soil (carefully) to promote moss growth

Cephalotus seeds have been successfully harvested from the pods that produced

20210908_132815.jpg

Cephs lookin good! So do the adelae and prolifera. Good job :)

That is one beautiful tank those cephs all look super happy mine barely open theyre lids unless i mist them constantly and they are getting alot of humidity from the humidifier... Well one pitcher has its lid almost all the way open pretty consistently.. thats an amazing tank and is giving me an idea about what to do with a large empty aquarium i have..

Awesome looking tank! Im wanting to do a tank with cephs as well! What type of lights are you using? How are the watering to keeping the soil from getting boggy?

Last edited:
Awesome looking tank! Im wanting to do a tank with cephs as well! What type of lights are you using? How are the watering to keeping the soil from getting boggy?
Thanks! I'm just using a random 1000w square panel LED from Amazon, not sure the particular brand, but I never crank the dial past 50% anyway.

I water directly through the drainage pipe, 4L of water soaks up in the soil and lasts for 1-2 months

(Sorry for the late reply, I don't get email notifications for replies for some reason)

That is one beautiful tank those cephs all look super happy mine barely open theyre lids unless i mist them constantly and they are getting alot of humidity from the humidifier... Well one pitcher has its lid almost all the way open pretty consistently.. thats an amazing tank and is giving me an idea about what to do with a large empty aquarium i have..
Go for it! Humidity shouldn't be much of an issue, cephs don't care about it!

Back