What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capensis Giant

I know this is a dumb question but humor me. Has any one ever cultivated a capensis "Giant 60 cm tall" and actually had it reach 60 cm? I have wondered about the truth behind this plant for so long i finally got one and i will admit it is larger than any typical capensis i have had but it is not 60 cm tall. I have found it to put out its largest leaves in the summer and they are about 10 inches long, making the whole plant a foot tall.
You should see how many plantletts a 10 inch long leaf will produce:-D

I heard that on the giant cape the sticky part of the leaves with the enzymes can reach 4" long and the leaves often bend under their own weight.
it's real just rare check the cp photofinder.

I recently acquired some Capensis Giant seeds in a trade, I'm looking forward to seeing if the plant lives up to its name!

60cm, possibly, if you include the tall stem which is characteristic of this clone

I think you are right about the stem length, my plants are producing long stems but i keep chopping them to keep them short. I guess i will have a capensis vine. The one picture i saw of a capensis giant was of a fairly old and large plant with a stem a foot long. I was hoping for a 60 cm leaf that would be able to make a meal out of the neighbors dog.

here is a picture, normal capensis on the left, giant on the right. The plant diameter is about 30cm I think.
2410640623_4083153562_o.jpg

where does capensis giant grow? does it require everything the same as a normal capensis? or does it need more?

Stephen, wonderful photo!

How long have you been growing giant capensis? Does it set seed as vigorous are a typical capensis?

:0o: That's big!

Wow, would love a giant capensis!

The 'Giant' cape is different than a 'broad leaf' cape, yes??

yeah, and I don't always remember that garden of eden text in that giant cape photo,I have seen the pic before.
I would like a giant cape... wonder if there is a red one.

That is the first photo i have seen that actually shows such a difference between the plants. great pic, thanks for sharing it. My giant capes have a flower stalk on each, but they dont seem to produce multiple scapes like the typical.
I tried a leaf cutting and i cant count how many plants are growing on it!!
I actually was thinking about trying to cross a giant with a red capensis to see if i could come up with a giant red form, I would have to have a mature red cape to do this.
I will be happy with my giant if it gets as big as yours Stephen, its not 60 cm but it is big!!

Back