What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can tuberous sundews get overcrowded?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
This time of year, my tuberous sundews are all in full growth and looking good. But I wonder, can they be too crowded? Obviously, most all plants are eventually susceptible to overcrowding, but when is it too much for tuberous 'dews? My pot of D. gigantea has six or seven large stems growing from the same square inch of soil - would it be better to give them each a little room? My other varieties are similarly crowded. I'm guessing it's better to repot during dormancy, and I'm in no hurry, but should I start planning to part them out?
Thanks,
~Joe

Hi Joe,

In general plants will spread out as much as they can in the pot and avoid competition in order to access more nutrients and acquire it for themselves rather then sharing it with other plants around.
The issue just depends on the extent of the root system and the interaction of the root systems between each plant. Also since the roots of carnivorous plants dont really absorb too many nutrients the issue may not even apply to these plants as much as other 'garden' plants.

Of course we all want to give our plants the BEST conditions possible but if you see no side effects and your plants are doing fine then I wouldnt worry about repotting them unless it's an esthetics for you.
Good growing!

Hey Joe,

What you are seeing is perfectly normal for tuberous, do not stress it. What it is is secondary growth, from either the main tuber or newly created offshoot tubers. It is actually a good sign cause it means your plant is really healthy and has the spare energy to crank out the extra growth.

As for your question on repotting... That is a matter of preference. The proximity of the plants will not be a big issue so you can keep them together if you like or you can wait till dormancy and unpot them and then repot with the tubers spaced out more (or in pop the tubers into separate pots if you like.) I have had to repot my gigantea every year for the last 5 years but that is cause it persists in dropping its tuber to the bottom of every pot I put it in so I have to keep upsizing the pots LOL. If yours is sitting happy in its pot then I would just leave it be.

Cheers

Back