What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California Dreamin'

• Thread starter droseraguy
  • Start date

droseraguy

Illinois
I'm trying to put together a trip this summer with my wife and son to Salinas, CA. Is there anyone around that area I could visit ? Any native CP sites or good places to check out ? My wife's family is there so I think I can snag a car for a bit. PM me or post. I'll follow up later when I get more details.

Hi DG,

Is Salinas anywhere near San Diego? I'm sorry, I don't know the are well, but my great Uncle's gardens are worth the trip. I just might be able to hook you up with a short tour..... No promises, but I'll ask if it's near by.

Time it so you can make a BACPS meeting. Those are supposed to be a lot of fun. Salinas isn't overly far from Martinez (Bugweed) or San Jose (VFT Guy in SJ) or California Carnivores (Sebastopol) either. And not overly far from Darlingtonia sites. You'd have to check with Bugweed, Barry, or Peter for those.

Thanks guys I'm takin' notes already. Momma's gonna have to hang with her sister's !!

Hi DG,

Is Salinas anywhere near San Diego? I'm sorry, I don't know the are well, but my great Uncle's gardens are worth the trip. I just might be able to hook you up with a short tour..... No promises, but I'll ask if it's near by.

I'd guesstimate it's about an 8-10 hour drive.

Wow how time flies when your having fun. We are gonna be flying in to Oakland July 7th, from there to Salinas for a week. Anyone got some time open so I can check out their collection ? I think we will be heading to Monterey once or twice during the week as well. Nothing really planned so far but visiting the aquarium. Oh ya and anything a 14 yr. old boy might like to do ??

Hi DG,

No Dave, Salinas is at the south end of the Bay Area, near Monterey. San Diego is at the extreme southern part of California, a good 9-10 hours from here.

Aside from myself in San Jose, there is also Stephen Davis a couple miles from me, Capslock in San Francisco, California Carnivours (Peter D'Amato) a bit north of San Fran. There is Barry Rice at UC Davis near Sacramento (About 2-3 hours North of Salinas). I am sure there are others that I am forgetting but those are a few right off the top of my head.

Steve

Edit: Aside from CP colections, there is a nice amusement park here is Santa Clara. The kids should enjoy that. There of course is the aquarium in Monterey, Santa Cruz beach boardwalk is right near Salinas.

Its too bad you could not have planned to be here the week of July 22, Stephen Davis is planning a pot-luck BBQ at his home that day and it should draw quite a few of the bay area CPers.. I know I am going :)

Cheers
Steve

Back